Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Personally Feel That RCM Has Sunk The NCLT Hobby

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
Canada
554 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to expand on the observation - this point applies to ALL collecting, not just coins.
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Wandering Eskimo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Eskimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Alex A hits the nail on the head for me. I'm mid-30's, and I collect a lot of things: older-model cars, coins, fine art / inuit art, real-estate.

While some of the items in my "collections" are bought solely out of love, long-term price stability and/or appreciation matters greatly to me.

If price stability and/or appreciation is doubtful, I then look at the intrinsic "usefulness" of can item - can it get me from "point A" to "point B" (in the case of a car)? Can it be rented out (in the case of property)?

It makes no sense, in my mind, to simply "collect" items for the purpose of accumulating "stuff".

Perhaps I am jaded here because of history: I've seen my grandparents down-size when they moved into a retirement home (and then again, when my grandfather passed away). Recently, my parents downsized from a large country acreage to an urban home. In all cases, I found myself asking "why did they collect / save this?" with several items / assemblages of items.

In fact, I'll be having a garage sale in the next few weeks. Anyone who thinks I might be a little off-base is welcome to drop by... I have oodles of decorative / collectible China plates, tons of Red Rose collectible figurines, and more (EDIT: From my grandparents / parents collections).

This is why my purchases of NCLT coins has dramatically dropped over the past few years - it started to make no financial sense in continuing to "collect". If the price of a car or property in my "collection" were to drop, these items still have intrinsic usefulness (driving, renting out). With NCLT coins, there is no usefulness - just dead loss with re-sale in the after-market.

I still love coins & previous metals - the history behind the releases, the feeling of a physical asset in my hand - but I'm much more particular with what I purchase today. To me, the rationale behind paying large premiums to mainstream mints for NCLT offerings is rapidly evaporating. Many mini-mints are producing compelling products in today's marketplace, for a substantially lower premium. Put simply, you still get that "physical asset in the hand" feeling, but at substantially less "investment risk".

Just my two "cents"!

Edited by Wandering Eskimo
08/18/2018 4:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4322 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing wrong with collecting RCM coins if they are what you like, it's that for the last many years wait 6 to 9 months the same coin will be available at great discount thus even more better feeling than paying full issue
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6532 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It makes no sense, in my mind, to simply "collect" items for the purpose of accumulating "stuff".

This is well said.
Over the years, I am buying, and then comes unloading period, where the coins literally go for 50%-60% from issue maximum (before the fees). Cause I usually buy just because they mint and I like it. After unloading again comes accumulation.
My wife laughing at me, saying, that I not collect, but "rent" coins, spending money on this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
697 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When coins from the RCM sell for $119, and a dealer offers you spot +$5 for that exact coin, well right there you have a very serious problem.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6532 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But we can't look at the dealers.
Cause, if you are selling- the Dealer will not be usual customer.
Dealer will buy to try to make a money on it, that's why expected to receive very low offer...

In general you right without any doubt.
The majority of the coins lose the value immediately, because too many of them and none is special to chase after it and overpay.
well, there are many factors, why we need the specific coin, but in the bottom line: if not this one, so another...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
697 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They could have saved themselves tens of millions of dollars in losses had they listened to us 3 years ago.
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is why my purchases of NCLT coins has dramatically dropped over the past few years - it started to make no financial sense in continuing to "collect". If the price of a car or property in my "collection" were to drop, these items still have intrinsic usefulness (driving, renting out). With NCLT coins, there is no usefulness - just dead loss with re-sale in the after-market.

I still love coins & previous metals - the history behind the releases, the feeling of a physical asset in my hand - but I'm much more particular with what I purchase today. To me, the rationale behind paying large premiums to mainstream mints for NCLT offerings is rapidly evaporating. Many mini-mints are producing compelling products in today's marketplace, for a substantially lower premium. Put simply, you still get that "physical asset in the hand" feeling, but at substantially less "investment risk".

I have a similar train of thought myself as well. I enjoy the art work, quality, and exclusiveness of mintage. The value can be had for me even without the prospect of an positive investment. That in-hand feel is irrevocable for myself.

With that been said I do feel that my choice and frequency of purchases are far and few between themselves because of the lack of return, breaking even, or loss with my purchases.

I'm still very new to coins compared with the rest of you, but as a casual collector I can compare the purchase of a coin to the purchase of a new vehicle. With a massive depreciation straight from the "factory" or even a dealer this keeps me from fully diving into this hobby.

My favorite formats are the silver half kilo and up and some of the 2oz glow in the dark series.

-28 Year old, started with a 1995 proof un-circualated set from a grandfather I never knew. First own RCM purchase was 2017.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your thoughts - I don't buy the argument that the RCM has tanked the hobby of collecting NCLTS -
Lots of collector may have slowed their spending but many still in the game very curiously watching / waiting to see what new creative designs and themes are produced by the RCM.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
697 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Electrum ... I believe that this is the RCM thinking as well, hence the change resistance.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1556 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's Silly to think numismatics is anything near what it was 20 years ago or even 10 for that matter.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
987 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Not just with coins, but life in general. If it doesn't provide utility, potential gain, or happiness to you, do you really need it?

I have found that the less "stuff" I own, the more enjoyable my life has become, as counter-intuitive as that sounds. I also find that the things I DO decide to keep are enjoyed more. I have a beautiful large proof Libertad on my desk that I glance at and admire daily. I get more enjoyment from it than I did from having boxes full of collector coins that never saw the light of day.
Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, one of the biggest issues is that the mint seems to be operated by idiots that have no clue re. history. I mean these kids think that some dead ol' dude is still the emperor of India in 2018, and have no problem minting coins endorsing such idiotic counterfactuals!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6532 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I mean these kids think that some dead ol' dude is still the emperor of India in 2018, and have no problem minting coins endorsing such idiotic counterfactuals!

Is this the concern here? How many NCLT coins RCM minted in 2018-2019 with "Emperor of India"?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the poliferation is annoying and over the top . I started collecting filling albums, it was satisfying to fill a hole and collect a series ncl does not lend itself to album collecting,i COLLECTED .25 .10 .05 .01 .50 1.00 100.00 in trying to keep up with the current year 1.00 a passion, its like 17 sets, coins not counting finishes. The 100 $ gold was a one coin only series since 1976, last years 3 pcs .sensibly have cut something
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05