Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Have A Circulated $20 For $20?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
Australia
13260 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious about the "rings" of cracking or peeling right around both sides of the coin, just inside the rim. They are barely visible on the Oct 2017 pics but easily visible in the July 2018 pics. What could be causing that? I can only assume it's got something to do with how the RCM makes the blanks for these coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is wearing very quickly as it is a 2015 coin.

It didn't make it into the pocket until sometime in 2016.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am curious about the "rings" of cracking or peeling right around both sides of the coin, just inside the rim. They are barely visible on the Oct 2017 pics but easily visible in the July 2018 pics. What could be causing that? I can only assume it's got something to do with how the RCM makes the blanks for these coins.

Not sure what is causing it but a few of my other pocket pieces are doing it as well.

http://goccf.com/t/173203&whichpage=28#2763238

http://goccf.com/t/173203&whichpage=28#2763274

I had thought this one graded by PCGS was artificially aged because it had the same effect while my pocket worn ones hadn't developed it at the time but now I know from experience.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jack, is your goal to get it graded as a G-4?

Since it is a one off no discrepancy what year and mint and issue it once was I am going for "almost unrecognizable"
Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After 3 1/2 years in the pocket

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7786 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a lot more wear than I would have expected.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6585 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But you will lose some small amount of money, just because of wear...

In the new condition, it is still worth CAD 20, as worn round - will be as 1/4 oz silver max.

I am curious about technical details as well:
If the coins just in pocket and not in wallet, daily, you have unload them from the pockets and next morning to put to the pockets of another clothing piece...
I know, some people will say "so what?", but if to think more, this is routine procedure will be done daily for years.
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the new condition, it is still worth CAD 20, as worn round - will be as 1/4 oz silver max.

I don't think that is true. As a 1/4 oz silver, it is worth $5 (assuming $20/oz CDN silver). Wear may take a few cents off that price as the weight drops below 1/4 oz.

The face value is $20 and will be for as long as the mint continues to accept them for redemption. They accept pre-1967 quarters for 25 cents as long as they are identifiable as a quarter...
Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Current state as of 1/1/20

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05