Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fourth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 312
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13579 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes some amazing pieces by some of our European members over on the 5th edition. I actually agree @j1m that the 5th edition thread will stall before it catches up to this one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a bit more optimistic. I just depends on whether or not the participants of the last thirty years bring their goods to number five.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2825 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am a bit more optimistic. I just depends on whether or not the participants of the last thirty years bring their goods to number five.
They cannot, and you know that very well indeed. The gaps are 1480 and 1473.

(I checked that all the other years up to 1461 are represented by participants who can show up in the Fifth Edition, but it doesn't appear that those two are.)
Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They cannot, and you know that very well indeed.
Perhaps if I would have looked as you did.

Optimism cancelled.
Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BUMP!

We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

Any new members or new purchases out there?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13579 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not from me, but it is on my list.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2601 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been adding some late 1400s coins since the last edition (and even have a bid in on one right now), but won't go outside my current collecting themes, so I will never be a hard core OFEY guy as we get to the tough dates.
As for my medieval collecting areas:
Poland ends at 1506 or 1507, depending on your definition, so that doesn't help at all...
Brabant ends at 1474 ...a little better. One of the tougher dates is up at auction right now, but is pricey because of the nice condition.
I have a "saints" theme that might go earlier, but at pretty significant cost, because I think it mostly goes to gold for the early years (like dated German goldguldens with John the Baptist).
I don't have Levinson, so I'm not sure what to chase before 1474 that has an image of a saint on it, and hence would fit this theme.
Suggestions welcome.
Edited by tdziemia
10/08/2019 05:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2825 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The expected gaps, assuming that everyone except the unfortunate @louie posts their coins from the current thread, are 1480, 1473, and (the current gap) 1460.

There are several Brabant types for 1480, so it is not unlikely that @tdziemia already has one of those.
There don't appear to be any dated 1473 or 1460 coins with saints on them, but it's possible that there are some undated coins featuring saints attributable to that year.

Unfortunately, 1473 AD is inconveniently placed for a Muslim date conversion, as the boundary between AH years falls somewhere in June or July; despite some googling I was not able to quickly determine which AH year (if any) corresponds to this AD year.

Quote:
Poland ends at 1506 or 1507, depending on your definition
Some catalogues still say 1504, but apparently the "1504" variety is just a weirdly placed die break in the 1506 date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2601 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are several Brabant types for 1480, so it is not unlikely that @tdziemia already has one of those.

I have added a few pre-1500 Brabant coins in the last year, but not a 1480. I was beat in the recent Kunker auction by 1 bid increment. I am not unhappy because the winning bid was rather pricey. I hope it was someone who is active on CCF

Quote:
but it's possible that there are some undated coins

I need to keep remembering this. There are a couple of undated 1485 Brabant coins, and also one dated type. I know there is also an undated 1409 type, but I have not done a complete search of dates in the mid-1400s.

Quote:
Quote:
Poland ends at 1506 or 1507, depending on your definition
Some catalogues still say 1504, but apparently the "1504" variety is just a weirdly placed die break in the 1506 date.

The earliest dated coin from a Polish mint is the 1507 1/2 groat. However, Polish collectors also try for the 1506 groat issued in Swidnica (Silesia) under Sigismund while he was a prince of Silesia, just one year before he became king of Poland. Whilst most of Silesia is today a part of Poland, in 1506 Silesia was a vassal of Bohemia, not Poland.
Confusing to say the least.
Edited by tdziemia
10/12/2019 09:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13579 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The expected gaps, assuming that everyone except the unfortunate @louie posts their coins from the current thread, are 1480...

I picked up a 1480-dated coin this fall and am poised to post it when the 5th edition gets there later this year.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2825 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I picked up a 1480-dated coin this fall and am poised to post it when the 5th edition gets there later this year.
Yay!

Hopefully someone would have something from 1473 by then...
Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Excellent!

Quote:
Hopefully someone would have something from 1473 by then...
Page: of 312 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05