Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 Harper's Ferry P Doubling?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  7:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cory87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone. First of all, I'm new to CC. I'm 29 and from a rural town in upstate NY. Anyways, I recently received this 2016 Harpers Ferry ATB Quarter from the grocery store and when I looked it over, it caught my eye (mainly the mint mark and "Harper's Ferry" on the reverse). Thoughts?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20250 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like a worn die and maybe some machine doubling. Not a doubled die,sorry.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny you post this. I have 21 different Harpers Ferry quarters that are all different. I'm trying to get the pictures together and will hopefully post later today. Note I don't believe any of them would be considered errors,just varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3067 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCentsLady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cory - Yes, I agree looks like a worn die. The Ill ATB Shawnee quarters & the LA Kisatchie quarters in particular have gotten much worse than your Harper's Ferry - some get pretty crazy looking where it looks like a triple. Keep up the hunt and hope you continue to post.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25462 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cory: On the ATB (America-The-Beautiful) quarters the reverse devices on the outer circle on the reverse are incuse (sunk into the coin) elements. Raised on the die, the slightest movement will alter the devices creating Machine Damage on them. This will enlarge them and make them look like a doubled die, but they are not? Because a doubled die has the doubling on the die. On MD this happens from a normal die, but the machine damages the devices mechanically. So they are not doubled dies, but often look like them. They can look like these:

The devices are raised on the die and the slightest die movement before or after can alter these devices. I see a bit of distortion on your coin as well. On incuse devices the ball game is just opposite the raised devices for doubled dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cory87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you everyone for the info and photos! You've been terrific! I will certainly post more add I have many that I've found throughout coin roll hunting. Mainly wheat pennies. .. I digress. Anyways, thanks again & I look forward to posting more and getting great feedback from great people! And seeing more varieties of these quarters! Woohoo!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05