Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sabina, Hadrian's Long-Suffering Wife, Deified  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  2:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As my profile image suggests an important part of my Roman imperial collection is deification issues.

Almost from the start of my collection, the whole state religion deification process fascinated me. The decision by the Senate to deify an emperor or family member as a sign of respect, the lookout who watched the smoke from the funeral pyre for signs of the deceased's soul being carried to heaven, ending in the coin commemorating the event. The imperial cult was an important aspect of life in Rome and these coins were meant to remind Romans of the connection between their rulers and their gods.

Vibia Sabina, a cousin of Hadrian, became his wife in 100AD at the request of Trajan's wife Plotina. We know little of her life as empress but we can assume that her marriage to Hadrian wasn't that great considering Hadrian's intense love for his Greek lover Antinous. The Historia Augusta claims she had an affair with Suetonius, but that chronicle is highly unreliable. Nevertheless when Sabina died in 136-7, Hadrian ordered her deified.

Below is the relief showing her deification that once stood in the Campus Martius but now resides in Portugal. Inset is the coin that I added to my collection.

Learn More...
United States
20305 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent coin, congrats on adding it to your collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2826 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice pick up. Congrats. Celator article about her here: https://community.vcoins.com/celator-vol-14-no-01/
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good choice of specialty; lots of ancillary material to present with the coin(s).

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jskirwin, very nice post and great coin!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
United States
6160 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check TypeCoin971793's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The portrait is very nice. It almost looks like a medal.
Lots of high-grade and scarce Type Coins for sale on CCF (UPDATED 11/7/17):
http://goccf.com/t/300205
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The portrait is very nice. It almost looks like a medal.

I know. I fell in love with the coin because of it - a big no-no to collectors but sometimes you just can't help yourself. Collecting has a strong emotional component.

What appealed to me:
1. Empress - I love the Roman ladies. So pretty compared to the guys.
2. Nice portrait - That face almost looks like one you would see as Lady Liberty on a modern coin.
3. Consecratio - The deification issue. The only things we have remotely like it are the commemorative medals that were issued after the death of Washington.

Eagerly awaiting her arrival from the UK.
Pillar of the Community
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2017  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dwayne8625 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool coin
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05