Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 7TF Rev Of 79 Morgan Gem BU Roll

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  5:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add qaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This past weekend I picked up a Gem BU roll of 1878 7TF Rev of 1879 Morgan dollars from an estate safety deposit box. Can anyone tell me what the value of this roll might be intact

Pillar of the Community
United States
3204 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Imthealphaomega's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't call these gem bu Morgan's. Based on pics these could be anywhere from au58-ms63. All seem to have a good amount of chatter on the cheeks and fields. Pics of the reverses would help too. Just my opinion. If you get them graded and one comes back a 64 or better you got a decent value coin.
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
35x20=700, 42.5x20=850, 50x20=1000, 60x20=1200. I hope that helps at least some. I personally would buy them somewhere in the mid 30 to mid 40 dollar range per coin. Some may be willing to pay more, but my max would surely be slightly less than $50 per coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15919 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pick a couple that you consider the best (least marks) and show those to us front (obverse) and back (reverse).

Then we can tell you a bit more about the best coins in the roll.
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It just crossed my mind that I should have mentioned that the price I would pay is simply based upon photos that do not show potential grade well and the fact that the coins are not seen in hand. No one wants to take a gamble if the odds are against them.
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One last thought... please know that if a coin is worth $50 in your mind, a roll of "$50" coins would typically sell for a bit less than that. For instance, I just bought almost a roll of BU dollars priced at just over $50 per coin, and though it was still a little more than I would have liked to pay, I gave the store $41/coin. The date was a little more common than 1878-P however. All I can say is good luck, and try VAMming them first!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also the potential of a more desirable die pairing or one that may be a conditional rarity like say VAM-220 that fits both criteria.
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2017  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aha, nice one Dave! This IS a VAM thread BTW... should be VAM related ;)

If you VAM them please let us know what you find. If you need help, take some close-ups and maybe we can lend a hand. I am no '78-guru, but I know at least a few of us will give 'em a spin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2017  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am no '78-guru, but I know at least a few of us will give 'em a spin!

I'm not either Nate, but I do enjoy a nice puzzle.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05