Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880-O Morgan Silver Dollar NGC MS-65 - Worth Keeping Or Go Down In Price?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Norway
61 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  09:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add christians86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I'm currently trying to sell a 1880-O Morgan. The price is 9500 USD ex buyer's premium. (10%) - I'm considering about dropping to 9000 and just buy silver bullion instead. Reason for that is that the silver bullion is from a series with very low frequency of MS70. Lately, and I do see that it can change these have gone for about 1000 USD a piece.

Even if I were to get only 400-500 USD it would still give me better return on my money. But I'm wondering...is it just the wrong time for selling, or is Morgans so out of date when it comes to prices? And can this change? (In the sense that it's like a roller coaster and this market is on the bottom and can climb in the near future?)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1880 O Morgan dollars hammer all over the place when they come up. This happens when the auction has less interest. But once you cross into the upper level of collecting the number of deep pocket collectors is far less. The last one I saw in PCGS graded MS-65, was last year an it was a "NO SALE" with reserve.

I know 3 collectors that just spent over 15,000 or more on a single coin, all 3 are out of the market for a little bit because they spent large money. PCGS price guild has an MS-65 priced at 25,000 in their holder at MS-65, I think that number is a pipe dream for an MS-65 as the one that was a no sale did not make it to 1/2 that with a 17.5% BP.

As far as where you are better off collecting, with a better return in mind. I would say "anyone" that states he has a crystal ball is delusional! Coins and metal markets go up and down. Metals are really not a free market and coins do make the better investment but it comes down to venues that you liquidate as well as timing.

Coin collection advantage is, that if you enjoy the hobby you have enjoyment as well as an investment. But just like investing knowledge is key, and just like picking 20 stocks you will not make money on all of them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4139 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.numismedia.com/cgi-bin/c...de2=pricesms

I agree w/2hawks. I also believe there's been a rise in pops. You certaintly go by the bay alone, as a few of the Os are actually Ss.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3204 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want $500 for a NGC 1880 O MS65 I will buy it off you. PM me if you'd like to broker a deal. If you could provide pictures that'd be awesome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you want $500 for a NGC 1880 O MS65 I will buy it off you. PM me if you'd like to broker a deal. If you could provide pictures that'd be awesome.

Greysheet bid for a 1880 S Morgan in MS 65 is $21000!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think 1880 O is what you meant.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05