Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cheapest counterfeited coins  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3140 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  11:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Post counterfeits - modern forgeries, to be precise - of any coins worth less than $10 in average condition. This is not limited to US coins, hence adding a value reference of some sort would also be helpful.

Are there any too cheap to fake coins?

Here's something to start with. All images in this post have been taken from the Chinese site. All listings had either an outright statement that the coins are forgeries or at least a very obvious suggestion that they aren't the real thing.

Fake:
Mercury dimes - 1940-1945 (various mintmarks)
NGC price guide: VF $3.10, XF $3.25

Fake:
Buffalo nickels - 1936D and 1936S
NGC price guide: VF $2.25 and 2.00, XF $5.50 and 4.75 respectively.

Fake:
Roosevelt dime - 1964
NGC price guide: VF $1.85, XF $1.90

Fake:
Wheat cents - 1949, 1954S, 1955D, 1956D, 1957D, 1958
NGC price guide: VF $0.08, XF $0.10 (1949), VF $0.09, XF $0.10 (1954S), VF $0.08, XF $0.09 (all others).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
673 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goldflake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a matter of time before banks start checking for counterfeit coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3211 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake common date, mid-grade wheat cents? I can honestly say I have never heard of those, and would never think twice about any non-key Wheat cent.

Most bizarre I have seen is a few counterfeit modern nickels over on the US forum. I think it was the 2004 Keel boat design, which is still readily available in MS from circulation.
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TroyWhite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that China is producing such large numbers of counterfeits is actually turning me
away from some areas of the hobby. Another board had a Carr article stating that old mint
presses were sold to China to be used for making their coins. Instead just this one facility
is producing 100,000 fakes a month!
How does the collector protect oneself from the dishonest? How many fakes will it take to
remove all trust and crater prices for bars and raw coins?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15683 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine the 1916D Mercury dime with a mintage (now due to China) of about 10,000,000,000 or more.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This doesn't qualify as a modern fake, but I've got to mention the Hennings nickel here. He wasn't after a huge pay day for a rare coin, he was after five cents.
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3140 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Japan, 50 sen, 1946 (year 21). There were two dates and this is not the rare 1947 (year 22). This is the common one, with a value of $0.50/$1.00 according to NGC in VF/XF respectively.

Notes: not all of the characteristics I highlighted appear on all fakes, not all have such porous surfaces either.
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3140 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2017  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since there are fake 1964 dimes, there must also be fake 1964 quarters, right?

Of course there are

Pillar of the Community
Poland
3140 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2017  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit German reichspfennigs.

Fake Weimar Republic type, 1 reichspfennig:

Note: bulge below/left of the place were the corn is tied together, cobweb-like lines around the ears of corn, some mintmarks don't seem to be quite the right style.
At least the following exist: 1930D, 1931D, 1933F, 1934A, 1935J, 1936D.

Fake Third Reich type, 10 reichspfennig:

Note: on some of them there seems to be some sort of faint outline which resembles doubling around the devices (denomination, mintmark), specific "wear" pattern on the leaves, some mintmarks don't seem to be quite the right style.
Fakes of all date/mintmark combinations exist.

There are also fake Third Reich 2 reichspfennig:

Fakes of all dates with A, B, D, E, F, and J exist.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2358 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2017  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started out as a child. You can make a dime out of a cent by placing it on the train tracks. Also, my father was an electrician and I saved those slugs that came off of outlet boxes.

If you adjust a copier for 1:1 be sure to change it back before the maintenance tech pops in.

Wait, you mean large quantity counterfeiting?
I would also collect chocolate coins, except for that one problem.

ANA # 3189614
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3140 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2017  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And then there are the fake British (or should I say, Chinese) halfpennies:

Dates: 1949, 1950, 1951.
Learn More...
United States
43269 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2017  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since there are fake 1964 dimes, there must also be fake 1964 quarters, right?

Of course there are
Pillar of the Community
Norway
963 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2017  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those pfennigs and halfpennies are sold by the kilo here... what's the point of faking those?

Also, those dimes and quarters go at melt here or are not sold if measures don't add up (weight, sizes).

It would really be interesting to have a talk with the people deciding to fake those. Find out what moves them.
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

I have a contest! http://goccf.com/t/263917
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3140 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2017  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A thing to note, their price for the fake 1958 cent is $1.44/piece and of course, there have been zero buys so far. Why even bother?

But the Chinese Fake-Mart listings do show there are buyers of the fakes of German coins from Germany, Slovakia, Spain, and other European Countries. Once this garbage filters through to Europe in larger quantities, even amassing a "junk bin" collection won't be possible without running the risk of obtaining fakes. It is often this kind of coins that people start their collection with, at least here.

Of course, in the long run, this kind of mass counterfeiting provides an opportunity for the TPGs. Will the start checking metal contents of the coins submitted to them? Will they lower prices so that it makes sense to slab low-value coins? Will the expand the availability of their services?

But if we're seeing the beginning of a "no coin is safe from counterfeiting" era, will this fact not drive most people away from collecting, since purchasing coins will seem like going out of your way to get duped?

Fake 1 reichspfennig, Third Reich type

Note: seemingly very little detail on the leaves.

Fake 5 reichspfennig, Third Reich type

Note: seemingly very little detail on the leaves, or a very distinct stem on the left leaf but not on the right (two different reverses used?)
Fakes of all dates (at least) with A, B, E, G, and J mintmarks exist.

Fake 2 RM, Hindenburg.

Obviously, there are fake Hindenburg 5 RM coins as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2875 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2017  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, and fake Kennedy clad halves.

I'm not sure anything is totally off limits.

Valued Member
Belgium
483 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gwyde to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing really is off the limits, indeed

Cheap fantasy monetary tokens have been produced as souvenir items. Some are 'extensions' of a former series of genuine commemorative coins. Example: The DRC had a small 'endangered species' series of genuine silver coins. On its continuation of silvered fantasy coins, the legend switches over from French to English.
Edited by Gwyde
03/08/2017 04:34 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05