Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

National Banknote Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  10:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orangestorm87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all, I recently came across this wonderful website. So I just want to HI and hope someone can shed some light on a piece I have had for awhile.

As you can see, I have a Ripon, WI national bank note that is not the typical size. It is 18 inches wide. I did not take a picure of the back, but it is double sided with the correct back side (obverse?). I am curious if anyone knows what this is, or seen any others like this.

Now for some background. I got this from my grandmother, however she never said where or how she got it. My mother says she can remember seeing this piece when she was a little girl in the 1950's, so it's atleast that old. My great grandfather was some high ranking member of this particular bank in the early 1900's.

Theorys I have heard from other people in the collecting world are the following.

1) It is simply a blown up copy that somebody made of a real National, that they then used as an advertisement or promotional piece in the 1950's.
2) It is like a salesmen sample. Being created larger to show what the detail would look like on a "real" regular sized National for potential banks thinking of offering their own.

No matter what happens, real or not, rags or riches, it is my most prized piece in my collection and won't be leaving until I do.

Thanks in advance for any help, thoughts, or comments.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28494 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. here is some info http://oldcurrencyvalues.com/nationals/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4553 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 18 inches wide I have to go with theory #1. It is a copy and is not a genuine note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4059 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2633 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if it's just the photo, but the ink is completely wrong. It is too dark and looks washed out in places.

Here is a genuine example:

Edited by WheatBack
02/14/2017 12:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4553 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The op's "note" is 18 INCHES WIDE!

It is not a genuine 1902 bank note. It is an enlarged photo copy!

There was no such thing as "salesmens samples" either.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orangestorm87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I would definately say its not genuine because of its size. I was more curious if anyone had ever come across another such piece, advertising or otherwise.

My real goal now is to find this exact note, just the actual normal sized one (exact serial number and all). If they made a copy of a real one and enlarged it, thinking goes there had to be a normal sized one at some point.

Ya it's a crazy goal, but everyone has to have their white whale and this is mine. So if anyone has any good links to reasources on Nationals, I have heard there is a census of them somewhere, that could help me in my search I would appriciate it.
Edited by orangestorm87
02/14/2017 1:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1780 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck, orangestorm87.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4553 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The original note is out there somewhere.

Look through the Heritage Auctions auction history archives to see what has been sold from this bank. You might get lucky and get a lead.

I don't think notes from this bank are "rare".
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The serial number isn't listed in the Kelly census that came with my 6th edition of his book. That means nothing as there are thousands of notes floating around that surface and have never been recorded. Simply impossible for one person or even an army of people to record every last serial number.

Bank serial number 5056 tells me that it is of the Date Back variety. The FNB of Ripon received and issued 5300 sheets of Date Backs. Expanding this: 15,900 $10's (there were 3 on a sheet) and 5,300 $20's (1 per sheet)

Kelly has serial numbers recorded for 10 Date Backs $10's.

Watch Heritage Auctions, Lyn Knight, eBay, local coin shops/estate sales/auctions.
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39471 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You were right to raise the question in any event.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no US Banknote 18 inches wide, so therefore, it is fake.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
645 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hajduk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A fake.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MvleMO55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last record of the real note in census, was April 27, 2006. Sold for $460 in auction//Heritage.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MvleMO55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooops..apologies to all...wrong note information from me...the first note....A913302B....doesn't show in census.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05