Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wells Fargo Update - They no longer accept more than 5 dollars in coins!!  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  2:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add phil5280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The fact that Wells Fargo recently removed all coin counters was BAD, but the latest news is ALARMING. My branches confirmed that they will NOT accept any rolled coins, and will only take loose coin up to a limit of 5 dollars! They told me to take it to Coinstar and pay the 10% fee! Are you kidding? This is total insanity! The war on CASH is unprecedented and is escalating at a rapid pace. What's next - rejection of 50 or 100 dollar bills?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3384 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider yourself lucky.
Here, WF has been doing that for yrs.
They've never had a counter for customers,
just their own use.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
12808 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What? Not even SILVER dollars?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1077 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, I always pay my fee (though it is only 3%)
Try going to another local bank.
People often question my "strange" or "weird" hobby of coin collecting. I think of these people as the common, "pocket change" people. Nothing unique about them. They question those who are different, call them "weird" for not being average. Those who have these strange hobbies are the "rarity" people. They are the "weird". The "quirky." Those who are different from the group are the Morgan dollars in a pile of modern dimes.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phil5280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banks not accepting legal tender is something straight out of George Orwell's 1984. WOW! The events of the past year seem to indicate a shift toward a cashless society.
Learn More...
United States
44204 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but being legal tender does not mean the banks have to take it unless you are trying to settle an existing debt with that bank.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14837 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, unfortunately. Most banks are dropping many of their traditional free services. Shame.
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Edited by Coinfrog
02/16/2017 7:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earendil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is essentially why I gradually spend my rejects, rather than drop them off at a bank. At least where I am, there's just too much bank-based animosity surrounding any level of perceived coin roll hunting.

While I've dabbled in various denominations--specifically, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars--I've had the most success spending half dollars in in-person transactions.

Unlike everything "below" them, I've never had rolls of half dollars questioned and/or rejected when presented to a cashier (and I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of several thousand of them). Sometimes, the half dollars are taken out of their wrapper to verify its contents, but the coins' large size means that nearly anyone can quickly and easily count them.

Granted, this process takes MUCH longer than a weekly drop-off/ pickup routine, but at least it helps to stave off the inevitable ban from the bank.
Edited by Earendil
02/16/2017 7:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
458 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local WF branch has said not only will it accept rolled coins but there is no limit on how much I can bring in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My WF bank took its coin machine out yesterday, so there is the end of my roll hunting for now.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What if I try to deposit a $10 platinum eagle? I bet they'd violate their company policy then
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add accordselux to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Drop WF then. Pull your account, tell why, contact corporate level customer service with reason and particular branch, and open a credit union.

I'm already mad at them for financing the DaPL and opening a credit card account for me without my permission...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3121 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WF? Run. Run far away, and fast. Keep an eye out behind for phantoms.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Pillar of the Community
United States
591 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add berto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fist, I LOVE your comment!
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phil5280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second that berto - fist is right on! I better RUN far away before they open a bunch of unauthorized accounts in my name! LOL
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VA_Collector_12121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here in central VA I have been able to cash in boxes of coins. Recently I cashed in my box of searched half dollars. Sometimes they ask for my ID and phone number, I guess to contact me if the rolls are under.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05