Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 Two Dollar Plating Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  12:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It may not look like it but the coin is uncirculated, it's just my poor pictures.
I'm not sure does this look like a legitimate plating error?

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7478 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do the coppery coloured portions appear so in hand, or is your second pic more representative of the true colour?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second picture is closest to the actual colour.
The section in question is a different shade of bronze and shiny.
I did notice some of the Bronze coating seems to have migrated into the security section also.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7478 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ring and core are plated separately.
The two pieces are joined in the striking chamber,it is the force of the strike that creates the seam/lock joint that fixes the ring to the core.
The eroded area at 10 0'clock on your coin involves both the core and the ring, this cannot possibly happen before the strike.
Thus what we see is PMD, some sort of environmental damage.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
717 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike through grease maybe ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7478 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2017  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If not for the difference in colour that would be most likely.
That's why I asked the OP about the colour, looks like we can see through the brass plating to the Al/bronze core.
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
02/27/2017 2:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Resurrecting this old thread as I have just now noticed there are fibres protruding for the medal in several spots they feel like a fine wire like perhaps steel wool.
Anyone with different thoughts or opinions after viewing this recent close-up picture?
How could the fibres get embedded into the medal?

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1230 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck through gre ASE
Valued Member
Canada
108 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like drops of transparent lacquer.
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second numidan with drops of transparent lacquer. On dollars you can see the bubbles in the lacker or glue or... Should be able to remove it with Acetone.
Edited by Castor sous
05/08/2019 1:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone bath has made no difference.

Cheers, Bill
Learn More...
Canada
8422 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill, bring it to the next Coin Expo and show Jaime, is the best I can say at this time.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1519 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hounddog Bill the material on the top of your coin. resembles the material left on this sealed coin from the mint. dont know if this helps you. here is the image
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EBrown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting mystery.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05