Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hr 1235 - Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Commemorative Coin Act

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  11:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Congress - This bill directs the Department of the Treasury to mint and issue not more than 50,000 $5 coins, 400,000 $1 coins, and 750,000 half-dollar coins in recognition and celebration of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The coins shall be in the shape of a dome, and the design on the common reverse of the coins shall depict a basketball. Treasury shall hold a competition to determine the design of the common obverse of the coins, which shall be emblematic of the game of basketball.

The bill requires all sales of such coins to include specified surcharges, which shall be paid by Treasury to the Hall to fund an endowment for increased operations and educational programming.

Sponsor: Representative Richard E. Neal, Cosponsors
Committees: House - Financial Services
Latest Action:02/27/2017 Referred to the House Committee on Financial Services. (All Actions)

Text:The Congress finds the following:
(1) On December 21, 1891, a young physical education instructor named James Naismith, introduced the game of "basket ball" to his physical education class, in Springfield, Massachusetts.

(2) In 1959, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame was founded and dedicated to the game's creator Dr. James Naismith, in Springfield, MA, "The Birthplace of Basketball" and became the first and only museum to honor the game at all levels around the world.

(3) The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame honors players who have achieved greatness, exemplary coaches, referees and other major contributors to the sport of basketball. The Inaugural Hall of Fame Class of 1959 had seventeen honorees who were inducted, including Dr. James Naismith, George Mikan, Forrest C. Allen, Angelo Luisetti, Original Celtics and First Team.

(4) The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is recognized throughout the world as the premier institution entrusted with recording and disseminating the history of the game of basketball and recognizing and honoring the achievements of its greatest players, coaches, and contributors.

(5) The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame provides an entertaining, enriching experience and is known for its educational outreach programs and celebrates and promotes positive core values demonstrated by basketball's hallowed heroes and its founder.

(6) Basketball is one of America's national treasures; with its fast pace which reflects the freedom of expression and the modern experience of life in the 21st century.

(7) Since its opening in 1959, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is home to the largest collection of basketball memorabilia in the world, including more than 30,000 three-dimensional objects, 800,000 photographs, and 1.5 million documents.

(8) The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame welcomes more than 6,000,000 visitors interested in discovering the rich history of the game through its stories, its personalities, and its most celebrated moments.

(9) The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame reaches over seven million Americans through its educational programs, events, exhibits, social media, and its interactive website.

(10) The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's customized educational programs use basketball to teach young students around the world the important lessons on a variety of topics including: financial literacy, mathematics, civil rights, leadership of character, women's and men's history, and geography.

(11) The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame will lead the celebration of the 60th Anniversary of Basketball and will partner with a select group of constituents including the National Basketball Association, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and USA Basketball in commemorating the game throughout the 2019-2020 basketball season.

Read entire text

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly don't see this one not passing, so that's one of two programs for the 2019 year.
Learn More...
United States
75054 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...so that's one of two programs for the 2019 year.
Apollo 11 50th would be the other.

We have had baseball, no reason to not have basketball.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4018 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This bill was first introduced in the last session of Congress (114th) where it was referred to the House Committee on Financial Services and subsequently died for lack of action. That bill had 236 sponsors - 186 (or 79%) of which were Democrats.

The current bill has 84 sponsors, of which 69 (or 82%) are Democrats. Politics may ultimately play a role in the bill's demise - the Financial Services committee is chaired by Republican Jeb Hensarling of Texas; he can definitely impact the consideration of the bill.

The proposed legislation is following the lead of the Baseball Hall of Fame with a curved coin program of gold half eagle, silver dollar and clad half dollar. All three coins will feature the same designs - depiction of a basketball on the reverse and a common design (TBD via open competition) on the obverse. How boring! (I feel the same way about the Baseball HOF coins - a common design on three different is a missed opportunity for artistic expression!)

The mintages - 50K gold half eagle, 400K silver dollar and 750K clad half - mimic those of the baseball coin.

A minor note.the proposed bill also includes the following language, "The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame will lead the celebration of the 60th Anniversary of Basketball.throughout the 2019-2020 basketball season." The 60th anniversary of the invention of the game of basketball occurred back in 1951 (not 2019). It appears the bill's authors left out a few words here as the only significant basketball-related 60th anniversary in 2019 is the opening of the Hall of Fame itself (unless you're a Boston Celtics fan - the Celtics won the NBA championship in 1959; it was the first of eight consecutive championships for Boston).

Personally, I hope this legislation fails. I'm not against basketball, but I am against US coinage being used to fund ongoing commercial businesses such as the Basketball HoF (for the same reason, I was not in favor of the Baseball HOF coins even though I played the game for 30 years and still consider it as my favorite sport).

The Basketball HoF already has major corporate sponsors and is nicely profitable (I checked their financials). It doesn't need surcharges from a coin to continue its operations - it's a money grab. I would much rather see coins that commemorate/honor/support significant aspects of American history and society vs. entertainment enterprises.

Of course, that's just my opinion - your mileage may vary!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you on this, commems. I just have a hard time thinking this one won't pass, but maybe politics will, as you suggest, prevent it from passing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if this passes, both of the 2019 programs (the other being Apollo 11) would be domed? I'm not in for that, never mind commem's comment regarding "ongoing commercial businesses". They're successful enough; they don't need this kind of support. There are so many other worthwhile subjects.
Learn More...
United States
75054 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2017  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not really matter to me. I passed on the baseball coins, I will on these, too. I am not impressed with the curved coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
575 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2017  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it starting to look like 1936 all over again?
Or Canada?
I'm not impressed with most of the current issues and I won't be buying them. Prices are too high anyway.
Learn More...
United States
75054 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2017  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it starting to look like 1936 all over again?
As long as we are limited to two programs per year, it will never be like 1936 again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, H.R. 1235 passed in the Senate on 12/18 so it looks like this is nearly a done deal, provided our president signs it into law.

So this will be one of the two commemorative programs for 2020 (not 2019 as mentioned above).

Quote:

H.R. 1235 calls for 2020-dated $5, $1, and 50c coins in collector qualities of proof and uncirculated with each featuring the shape of a dome. Quantities outlined include maximums of:

50,000 $5 gold coins,
400,000 silver dollars, and
750,000 clad half-dollars.

Their reverse or tails side would depict a basketball. A competition would determine a common obverse or heads side design that must be "emblematic of the game of basketball."
Pillar of the Community
United States
5922 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not big on the curved coins as they do not fit in an album as well as the slabbed ones do not fit in my slab box.
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what will be the other commemorative program for 2020?
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How long until the football and hockey coins?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12262 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would much rather see coins that commemorate/honor/support significant aspects of American history and society vs. entertainment enterprises.

Obviously I am bias but baseball has had several very significant aspects of society they had big implications far beyond the diamond.

The most obvious would be Jackie Robinson, the series in NY after the 9-11 attacks was a major help for healing a country as well as various things in WW2 and after.

I agree with you that the programs themselves should be focused more on significant events many of which other countries commemorate better than we do. That said they do need to have some common interest ones to reinvigorate a series that has had too many lackluster choices lately and for baseball at least the sport has had long lasting social impacts besides just whose team is better.
Learn More...
United States
75054 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How long until the football and hockey coins?
I would most definitely like to see a "puck" that is not the five ounce ATB.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would most definitely like to see a "puck" that is not the five ounce ATB.

Hehehe.... yes, that would truly be deserving of the "puck" moniker.

Quote:
So what will be the other commemorative program for 2020?

There's a discussion on that here but the list I'm aware of is:

o J.F. Kennedy Commemorative
o 75th Anniversary of the End of World War II Commemorative
o Plymouth 400th Anniversary Commemorative
o Mayflower Commemorative
o Carson City
o Muhammad Ali Commemorative
o Naismith Basketball HOF Commemorative

There may be others and clearly there will be competition for that 2nd spot.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05