Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifing Chinese Coins With Square Holes In Round Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Norway
3 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  3:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bearthunder to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is driving me slightly mad, and bald. Can someone please help me identify these Chinese coins, and maybe also point me to somewhere online where I can identify these rascals in the future?

The image with one coin is the front and back of the same coin.

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure of first two, possibly a different Chinese dynasty but suspect Japanese. #3 & #4 are of Ching dynasty, 3 is reverse says from Kwangtung mint ( Board of Revenue) in squiggles, other says in Manchurian " Fountainhead of Currency". Obverse(4) is emporer Sheng Tsu(Kang His) 1662-1722.

Your alignments are correct, the emporer's name and title are the top and bottom characters(#4) while the dynasty notations are left and right. Notice differences in reign characters of #1+2?

Post reverse of other two, may indicate where from?
Edited by Crazyb0
03/27/2017 3:57 pm
Norway
3 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bearthunder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1 is so worn on the reverse side it's totally blank. #2 is not so worn, but doesn't seem to have had any writing om the reverse side. Some of the characters on them do look like characters from other Chinese coins, and Japan characters aren't the same as Chinese? Are there any other countries that used Chinese characters/alphabetical?

As for the #3/4, 1662 - 1722? It's in great shape for such an old coin, could it be a fake, or are there any chance it is real?

Oh, and Thank you very much for such a great and quick responsen. :-)
Edited by Bearthunder
03/27/2017 4:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did some more research...try this site:

www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/chinaid3.htm

Your top two coins are similar and has some character info. Your Ching coin is likely real. If it is quarter size its a 1 cash coin, not worth much then and @ $1 now if that, fairly common, possibly counterfeit, but why?

#2 is T'ang rule(lower character?) AD 841

The other, think I'll give you the opportunity to discover..
(I googled identifying Chinese coins)
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bearthunder, you asked about Chinese and Japanese characters, I'm no language expert but have noticed similarities between the two...take for instance this 100 Mon Japanese coin, the lower symbol is for dynasty.

Seems a lot of countries in SE Asia through the Near East share some.
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest you also take a look at this too pages having coins #1 and #2 in hands:

http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty...Songtwo.html
http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty...iexport.html

While to me both coins seem to be original Chinese samples, I wouldn't exclude neither later Japanese nor Vietnamese imitations without more careful analysis of details and technical data
Learn More...
Australia
13167 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2017  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The third coin in the OP (the two bottom bictures) is, unfortunately, a modern replica, mass-produced for Feng Shui purposes.

The first coin is, as arok stated above, from the Song Dynasty and is roughly a thousand years old. This coin is from the Yuan You period (AD 1086-1093). It appears to be genuine (though see my final paragraph for a warning).

The second coin is indeed a Japanese "trade copy" of a Song Era design. The Japanese coins date from the mid-1600s.

As for your more general question: "Chinese cash coins" were produced throughout eastern Asia. Besides China itself, there are coins from Japan, Korea and Vietnam. All these coins have the same alphabet of "Chinese characters" on them; all these languages can be written in the same script, only they are pronounced differently. The second coin identified above, the Japanese trade coin, for example: the legend reads "Yuan Feng Tong Bao" if you are Chinese, "Genho Tsuho" in Japanese, and "Nguyen Phong Thong Bao" in Vietnamese. They all mean the same thing: "First Abundance Current Coin".

There are websites you can go to that identify the ones you're most likely to encounter: Chinese coins of the Qing dynasty (roughly AD 1600-1900). But there's a bewildering variety of "cash coins" out there if you consider all sources.

Vietnamese coins add a particularly confusing element to the mixture, as back in the 1700s, the king of Annam (central Vietnam) allowed the private production of cash coins. These "unofficial" coins had a wide variety of designs, and frequently copied older Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese coins.

So your first coin may indeed be a "Vietnamese copy" of a Song Dynasty coin; the easiest way to tell is by size and weight. The Vietnamese copies are almost always much smaller and lighter than the originals. Indeed, some Vietnamese cash coins are nicknamed "floaters" because they're so light, they easily float on water.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Norway
3 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2017  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bearthunder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speechless! Thank you all! Crazyb0, Arok, Sap... you impress the heck out off me, and made me read and learn about Chinese coinage, history and culture. :-) Thank you all again.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05