Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aussie Errors And Varieties

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 7,665Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2005  05:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seeing there are a fair few diggers over here, starting a thread in Aussie Errors and Varieties will spruce up this section and generate interest from error collectors. I will start with the undisputed "king" of decimal issues...the 2000 $1.00/10 cents Mule. Someone goofed up badly when the die used for the striking of the obverse was that of a 10 cents coin. As the 10 cents is smaller than the dollar, a double rim was created. To date, no accurate figures have been obtained as to how many of this mule were minted before it was discovered. Guesstimates are around the 6,000 for a high figure and hundreds for a low figure.

Has been selling on eBay for around the AUD$500.00 mark and dealers for around the AUD$1K. An EF graded one sold for AUD$2,000+.

Have a look....

Edited by rggoodie
12/26/2005 8:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2005  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A 2003 mistruck 5 cents coin. You do not see too many of them around.
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2005  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the mis-struck 5 cents. That's a cool-looking coin. Is there a reference book for Aussie errors?

There are many US coins with a multitude of varieties based on the fact that different die marriages were used. Do Aussie coins have similar varieties and are there books available?
Pillar Of The Community
3147 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2005  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crystalk64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey lim118 just go ahead and send those little old errors over here so we can see them up close. If you still need my address let me know and I will make sure Susan gets to see them as well!!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2005  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not aware of any one book that deals exclusively with Aussie errors and varieties to the full extent of all discovered errors and varieties.

Our very own RG has an interesting site which he has painstaking put together that deals with some of the errors and varieties..

Check it Out
Ian Hartshorn recently printed a booklet "Australian Pocket Change-Varieties & Errors-Common,Scarce & Rare". Highly recommended for all those interested in Aussie Errors and Varieties.This booklet is not expensive,from memory about AUD$20.00.

RG/Susan....I missed the thread you started in Aussie Errors and Varieties, the moving of this entire thread to the one that is already there will not only tidy up this Forum but will enable members to read all about errors and varieties in one thread instead of two....
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2005  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've spent some time on RG's site. It's a great place and very informative. I was just curious if there were books on different series similar to the Grellman and Newcomb books for US Large Cent varieties or the Overton book on US Bust Half Dollars.

This thread can't be moved into another thread, only to another forum. The thread that you are talking about is a reference to Ian Hartshorn posting on the Australian Forum (the site run by Secret Squirrel).

http://www.aussiecoins.net/forum/default.asp
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2005  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that deals with predecimal varieties. Compiled by a well known numismatist who contributes on a regular basis in our monthly coin magazine. Cost of this book is around AUD$29.00.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2005  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigfella to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Retails at $29.95. Only 1500 will be produced. It is a good book and from all reports from Renniks it is selling fast. I have a few in stock and they can be shipped with the new Macca's book to save a bit on postage. If you want some more comments on this book, Richard has a copy I sent him last month. I am sure he could tell you a bit about it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2006  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must say I am starting to become more and more interested with the "far out" errors.

Is there anyone that can be reccomended for authentic errors and a resonable price.

I did own a few errors but they were minor, I am starting to like the "far out" ones.
Learn More...
United States
14642 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2006  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New book by Ian Hartshorn
Australian Pocket Change - Varieties & Errors Common Scarce and rare

This link shows it but Ians link is no linger working, I will try to contact him or if any of you at home know how to get intouch with him please have hiom update his links or gie us further information how to get copies of this book (I have one)
Maybe bigfella stocks them.

Scroll down the page on this link to see the book
http://www.vision.net.au/~pwood/july05.htm
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Australia
14 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2006  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fulvio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget Ian's website either:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~iha.../feature.htm
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2006  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gnome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will throw in a couple of new ones here. Found and bought.
1981 2c doublenose
2005 MOR Misstrike
1980 1c 1.A
clashed die not a great scan.
plancet error
better scan of doublenose 2c
Edited by gnome
07/02/2006 7:12 pm
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2006  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gnome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more from the archives...
Nicknamed the Mongrel
plancet error
and one of my favourite misstrike florin
last one 3d clashed die
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1295 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2006  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can you tell the 3d is a clashed die?
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2006  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gnome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Image of a Kangaroo sitting on his shoulder, the tail is just behind his shoulder robes and there is a date which isn't clear on the pic but is there, a reverse 25. Also have a look around his mouth and under his chin, may see a partial image of an emu. Hope this helps.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1295 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2006  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK cool. I just picked up a off center 1928 3d from ebay, can't wait to have it in hand.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 7,665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05