Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Know You Have A Proof Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 13,314Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
158 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  6:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KittenLove to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just wondering what characteristics do you look for to see if you have a proof coin?
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the family!

Proof coins, biggest sign is the mirror finish on the "fields", the flat areas and the sharpness of details. Proof coins (US) are struck twice as compared to the "business strike" which is only struck once. Another indicator is the rim, it is flat and fairly even all around, some say like a wire rim. If you look at a penny, where the rim connects the coin is curved on a normal coin. Some proofs appear "cameo", the fields are reflective while busts/emblems are matte effect. Just know someone will post pix in a minute..

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35999 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. A proof coin will have an extra shiny look to it. It will have a squared off looking rim as well as a sharper strike. Depending on the date it will have a cameo appearance 1978 onward it is common. There are brilliant proofs that will look shiny without a cameo and cameo proofs that will show a cameo. And there are also matte proofs. There are also three levels of cameo,+Cameo,Cameo and -Cameo.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
04/06/2017 05:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kitten!

Yes, proof coins have a mirrored look to them. Quite different than a business strike.
More recent proofs will also have an "S" mint mark instead of a D, P or none at all.
But not all "S" mint coins are proof strikes.
Can you post a picture of the coin in question?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1744 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
have you ever hit your thumb with a hammer? proof coins stand out like a sore thumb. I normally say if you have to ask, it is probably not. To me its like finding a silver coin while roll hunting, they stand out so much, they are hard to miss.

If the proof has been travelling for a long time it may be harder to tell, but will still stick out.

Welcome to the community.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KittenLove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't found one yet but at the same time didn't know what to look for. Thanks everyone for the info.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19667 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

First of all you might want to get a copy of the Red Book by Whitman Publishing. Then you could look up the years when a proof was made. That way if you found one in change, you could look it up to check to see if it might be one.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3460 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Something to understand about Proof coins, they are not a grade or condition of coin. They are made with different dies than business strikes and are not put in circulation by the mint.
They were issued in sets and only sold to collectors, so if you do happen to find one in circulation, it will be an impaired Proof and not hold much value with collectors.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14165 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I haven't found one yet but at the same time didn't know what to look for.

Your really not supposed to find them in bank rolls . but we all have at one time or another . Proof coins originate from the mint where they are struck on a special highly polished planchet . They are then packaged for sets and sold for a premium . The only time you'll find a proof coin in a roll is when it's cracked out and deliberately and put back in the wild .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised no ones posted any pix of proofs!.. Here's some of mine, only thing is that because of the shiny background, the proofs reflect light showing up dark (working on getting better lighting). First is newest acquisition, a Netherland Silver Proof 10 Gluder, the second is a comparison of a 1969S business strike MS62 and a 1969S PR65 Proof coin. Wish they were better, I'll look for more:

Try to imagine the high shine in the darker areas...

Here's a couple more of mine I dug out...

Edited by Crazyb0
04/05/2017 9:33 pm
Valued Member
Canada
206 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2017  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OttawaVoyageur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your really not supposed to find them in bank rolls . but we all have at one time or another . Proof coins originate from the mint where they are struck on a special highly polished planchet . They are then packaged for sets and sold for a premium . The only time you'll find a proof coin in a roll is when it's cracked out and deliberately and put back in the wild

sometimes in unfortunate circumstances like this:
http://goccf.com/t/273953 br /
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3447 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2017  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a big difference - for US coins - between the early proofs and modern.

Modern proofs are made using a variety of special handling. The planchets are specially prepared, special dies are used which are polished differently from circulation strike dies, the coins are double struck or struck with extra pressure to bring up all the details. This creates the cameo effect (sometimes), the differences in the rims and other visual characteristics.

For proofs beginning in the 1850s, it was not as clear. Dies were made by hand (or finished by hand). So it was not uncommon to use them for circulation (business) strikes after the proofs were completed. Proofs were made in small batches based on orders from the public or when needed for presentations. They were even struck on special presses (the "medal" press which was a screw type press even as the rest of the mint was transitioning to steam).
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8127 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2017  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good comparison...

Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35999 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
djstheman,
to CCF. Proofs can be found roll hunting but yours is not a proof. When a proof coin is found in a circulated roll it is called am "impaired proof"
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 13,314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05