Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1791 "Industry" Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 667Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  5:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm told this is a commonly encountered piece, but I find it a bit enigmatic. It's clearly "Conder" type coinage, and from its size and composition it can be deduced that it might've been valued as a halfpenny, but on the other hand there's no marking denoting its denomination nor any instruction for its exchange or redemption.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2469 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No edge marking? The one constant problem with Industry type tokens is the bees. There seem to be varieties of most of them depending on the number of bees. I've gone half blind trying to count them, and obviously it gets even worse with the farthings.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No edge marking?

Afraid not, just a somewhat crude angled "reeding" all the way around.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2469 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it's a Scottish token, from Glasgow, but I've not come across it with the bees reverse before. Wonder if it's a mule.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

After all this time I've still never gotten a handle on this particular halfpenny "Conder" token, so I thought I'd bump it back up into the mix for further opinions. The most common ones depicting the "Clyde River God" I've researched and see cataloged have the coat of arms of Glascow on the other side, albeit there are other reverses noted, such as a bust of Howard, a ship, and Britannia, but no beehive types that I can find.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United Kingdom
62 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a mule and is listed as Dalton & Hamer as Cambridgeshire 16. The problem with mules is that they really need to be listed under two places - the river god with the urn from which the river Clyde is flowing is definitely more Glasgow than Cambridgeshire.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 667Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05