Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help identifying this coin.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  7:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coppahcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing some research regarding a coin I recently acquired. I believe that it is from the Ancient Spain Region of Iberian--Caura. I'm not able to find any pictures of the exact coin. It weighs about 23.2 grams and is over an inch wide. It's about the size of a half dollar coin. I've attached some pictures for review. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2010 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but this is a 99% likely to be a modern reproduction.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4342 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coppahcoins, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm not doubting @alganbagerap's conclusion, but could you please post a pic of the edge of the coin? Thx.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppahcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the edge. Is there any value to this? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4342 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any value to this?

Well, if fake, then it has zero value. Your pic of the edge is too dark and not blown up enough. Basically, I'm wondering if there is a circumferential ring around the edge, such as many cast coins have. If it has such a ring (or evidence of a ring being scraped off) then we could get to 100% that it is a fake.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Learn More...
Australia
12696 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Spanish coin forum has another coin that looks exactly like yours; the locals over there are certain in calling it a replica. Google translate puts one of the replies as "I feared the worst and was right. It is ugly even as a reproduction. I am sorry.".

So, sorry about that, but it looks like you definitely have a "tourist copy" of a coin from Caura.

Compare the style and fabric with a genuine coin from ancient Caura, such as the two shown on this page.

Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2826 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a genuine, but well worn example of this particular issue.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppahcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the quality of the pictures. The edge is rounded over and there are signs of it being scrapped off.

Thanks everyone for the information. This was my first post to this forum and I really appreciate the comments and wealth of knowledge!

Good news is that I am not really out any money, just some time from researching. Thanks again.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05