Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 Nickel Scar Face!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've never seen or heard of something like this(not to say it's not uncommon). But this line on Jefferson's face is raised. It's not glue. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8278 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting and fairly dramatic. You may have something there. If the spiked Buffalo nickels caught on, why not something like this?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope so. I look through 100-200 dollars in nickels every week and this is the first I've seen of anything like it!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking die clash, but its not exactly positioned right. I do see other chatter in field around WE TRUST (?) and a second mark east of the original. Red shows what I'mreferring to...

Edited by Crazyb0
04/20/2017 1:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8278 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeffcapone Nickel
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1741 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im no help in determining what that is - but you do have some nice images there...
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If an expert on clashed dies comes by...

QUESTION: Can a die clash be rotated by 10-30 ?

Never heard it happening, which I wonder if OP's coin is not just a die gouge.
Edited by Crazyb0
04/20/2017 3:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will start out by saying I am NO expert. Yes, they can be.

Here is some good info on them if anyone is interested

http://www.maddieclashes.com/illust...evant-terms/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8278 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "scar" is curved, and there are no real curves in the reverse of the nickel except the dome and that doesn't look like the dome.
I think it's either a scratch or deep long gouge on the obverse die or something foreign damaged the die.
I wish I had one of these.
So often we look for nice problem free coins that maybe we discard those with these issues and mistake them for scratches and bag marks. This is clearly raised on the surface so it has to be a die chip or gouge on the die.
On the 1946 S doubled die there is a hockey stick shaped raised line in the pony tail. There are collectors for that coin for the "hockey stick" even though it is also a DDO.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That hockey stick could also be an upside down hand pointing at the rim. (With a very long pointer finger)
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wildhare to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is raised, then I would think die scratch...?
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coincents for the link on Rotated Die Clashes. I think this is one, please observe the following with my written documentation. If the clash was rotated 20 degrees CCW, the tip of the nose would almost touch the "scar" with a second small line parallel to it. Pleas disregard my smaller circle on lower left...is nostril.

Edited by Crazyb0
04/20/2017 10:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1769 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could well be feeder finger damage as the obverse die is now used as the anvil die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1769 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickel Guy, you made me look at the 46-s listing . That's die #1 , I looked because die #2 is my submission from years ago. I went through some 46-s rolls and ended up with almost a whole roll of die #2's
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazyb0 I thank you for your efforts.The smaller line to the east of the big one on the chhek is a scratch. The long one measures.158" Which is too long for the pillar. But it is about the same length of the corner in your picture. Circled in black.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, you all will think I am totally nuts with my theory. First off I got 2 hours sleep last night and I have been working on this nickel for the past couple of hours. I my excuse is sleep deprivation (instead of stupidity).

When I am looking at the obv and the slight curve of the anomaly my eyes kept going down to the lips so I did a side by side. Now with the measurement from Newbie of the anomaly I think it could be something (ha ha ha).
I can't even comprehend how such a thing would or could even occur but since I put so much time into it I figured I would throw it out there.

It is probably a die gouge of sorts. Feeder finger scratches are usually much skinnier.

Now feel to "let me Have it" Don't worry I can take it.
I am going to go and get some more sleep now so I can give myself the head slap (I like that one) when I get up.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05