Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 D Lincoln Cent Grade? Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  01:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add makescents9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die deterioration doubling on both sides. I'm not good at grading, so I'll wait on someone with more experience. I think I do see some wear on Lincoln's jacket, so that would knock it out of the MS range. Full obv pic needed to assess grade as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16113 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD (Die Deterioration Doubling), very common to this issue.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add makescents9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is that not an error. It's not suppose to be on the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What happens in machining, dies wear down, crack an break after hundreds of thousand whacks. The devices (letters/numbers) become wider, less distinct. The other factor is machine vibration and heat build up, all takes a toll. The thin plating of copper reacts to these effects. An error is that which is outside of the normal stamping process. Read up on what is the cause of doubled dies, and how RPM's are introduced when the dies are made.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a really helpful link on different forms of doubling.

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...Doubling.htm

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is that not an error. It's not suppose to be on the coin.

It is a perfectly normal part of the die aging/wear process, just like minor chips and cracks.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mitchell Roberts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CC that was a helpful site. Gotta admit though I couldn't see a problem on some of those
Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Mitchell Let me know which ones and I can point them to you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
DDD (Die Deterioration Doubling), very common to this issue.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05