Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Gold Coin - Ducat 1915

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,262Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
503 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got my first gold coin.
Its nothing special K.n.K. ducat 1915 - restrike
and unfortunately its been used as jewelry and it has ring on it.
Thats why photos are not so great, I couldnt use scanner but my camera.

What do you guys think ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2658 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love those, but it would only be worth melt.
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
503 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love those, but it would only be worth melt.

I know but I would never melt it. I would never melt any coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3178 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice, gold is addicting but I hope you didn't pay a premium for the ducat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought a few Russian gold 5 kopeks recently at melt with no premium. Fascinating coins with similar designs to your ducat. So far all I've done is flip them for other coins that aren't as obscure. I should keep one just as a curio.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3329 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold 5 kopek?! Would be interested to know what they look like.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wups! 5 rubles. The dealer I bought them from had a stack of average circulated 1897's. It was hard to pass them up at $150 each.

This is the coin, though nicer than the ones I got. I like the 2 headed eagle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1897-Russia...AOSw44BYEWl4
Edited by thq
04/25/2017 12:02 am
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Austrian 1915 ducats are always only worth melt. They are still struck today.... They are one of a number of gold coins( plus one silver coin) that are officially re-struck on a regular basis. In the 1950s the US had to change its gold import policies as some people were getting round the gold ownership laws by importing ducats( and other re-strikes) as numismatic items.
Edited by austrokiwi
04/25/2017 01:11 am
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
503 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nice, gold is addicting but I hope you didn't pay a premium for the ducat.

got is as a gift actually, so it has much bigger sentimental value for me.
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
503 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im thinking about removing the ring above, but I'm afraid I might damage the coin. Have any suggestions ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2017  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've gotten soldered rings off gold coins using silver test solution soaks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JSP-Silver-...AOSwEzxYPxVi

My coins weren't affected, but the results are hit-or-miss because the solution doesn't remove all types of solder. Be careful when you use it, and flush the coin with lots of water after a soak. It's really strong acid.
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
503 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2017  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@thq

hmm that sounds risky ... I would better leave it as it is then risk damaging it. Only problem is that coin cant fit in 5x5 (2x2 if you use inches ) because of ring position.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05