Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins In Movies - His Majesty O'keefe (1954) - Yap Island Stone Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 992Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2017  10:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The famous "stone money" of the Pacific Island of Yap get their feature film appearance.

The 1954 Warner Brothers film "His Majesty O'Keefe" is company to employ the residents to harvest coconuts and produce copra (coconut oil), and later becomes a "king" of the island.

"King" O'Keefe on his throne

The film stars Burt Lancaster as David O'Keefe and was mostly filmed in Fiji. It is based on a true story.

Examples of the famous Yap stone "money" (sacred stones or "Fei" stones) are shown along with some generic gold coin props.

Yap Island sacred stone "money"

O'Keefe visits the Island of Palau where the Yap natives mine and manufacture the stones.

Yap Islanders manufacturing a sacred stone

Some coins appear as prop gold coins in the film:

Money on the table

The film has been added to my website under "Coins in about an Irish-American adventurer David O'Keefe, who lands in the South Pacific Island of Yap in 1870, sets up a Movies".

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Edited by willieboyd2
05/01/2017 01:32 am
Learn More...
United States
19203 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2017  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting such interesting stills from the movie. For folk interested learning more about these stones outside of the movie context, this is a potentially interesting thread:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=265712
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yap coins seems quite interesting, though they look very bulky and inconvenient. I wonder if a TPG would ever slab one? I mean, with all of those counterfeits being made nowadays...

Quote:
Some traditional prop gold coins also appear in the film.

I am fairly certain those front two are Canadian 1 penny tokens from 1850 to 1857, so those two are actually copper. Using those two as a size comparison, the top right may be 10 yen from Japan (possibly made from 1871 to 1892, but there were trial strikes made in 1870), so that one would be gold. That top left one though... Maybe 5 kopecks from Russia?
Edited by Joseph7420
05/01/2017 12:57 am
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joseph7420, thank you for the suggested identification of the copper coins used as gold coin props:

I believe that they are as follows:

The top left coin appears to be a Russia 5 kopeks, copper, 32.7mm, issued 1867 to 1912.

The top right coin appears to be a Japan 2 sen, bronze, 31.8mm, issued 1873 to 1892.

The bottom two coins appear to be Bank of Upper Canada tokens, copper, 33.4mm, issued 1850 to 1857.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Edited by willieboyd2
05/01/2017 01:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The top right coin appears to be a Japan 2 sen, bronze, 31.8mm, issued 1873 to 1892.

Ah, yes, that one makes much more sense than the gold one I suggested, specifically with it being a movie prop. I was not seeing any English lettering, but the 2 SEN is probably the blurry text on the right side.
Valued Member
Uruguay
217 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2017  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cara to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks willieboyd2!
Interesting topic coins in movies.

Have you seen the movie "The pianist" (2002)? There is a scene in the ghetto where Jewish merchants stop music to prove the authenticity of silver coins, hearing the sound when they drop the coins on a marble table. Seem to be 10 Zlotych? I am not sure, but I think it is an interesting adition to your topics.
Edited by cara
05/02/2017 10:15 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 992Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05