Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

.773 Troy Oz Of Silver Used As A Dime. Panamanian Balboa.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,352Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2017  10:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was given in change in place of a dime. 1968 Panamanian balboa.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11483 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2017  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to say it but, that's a 1/10 (un decimo de) Balboa and is clad. I did get excited for a second, though.

Still, that's a very cool coin to get in change!
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Edited by spruett001
05/03/2017 11:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2017  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks spruette I should have translated décima. They all have the same look just different sizes. I saw the bust and the eagle and didn't look any farther. I was excited to get it in change .
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2017  06:52 am  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The size could have been a tip off. :)
Valued Member
Italy
78 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2017  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Burkhard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always wondered about how much frequently the Panamanian coins shows up in circulation in the US, since they're of about the same size and composition of their US counterparts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2017  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beem very true lol. Burkhard this is the first Panamanian coin I have seen. I'm sure there are more out there that just haven't been received by someone that looks at every coin they get.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6058 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2017  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get maybe 1 or 2 a year when I use a lot of cash. From 1904 until sometime in the 80s, all Panamanian coins were minted in Philadelphia using US coin planchets. They are pegged 1:1 to the dollar. Put that coin in a coinstar, and it wouldn't know the difference.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2017  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn235 I guess they don't make it to wv that often this is my first but I can see how they would get mixed up with US coins easily. Now I have one more thing to look for lol.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,352Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05