Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterstamped Stone Mountain

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2017  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Houndman. I really appreciate the info!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2017  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Houndman 3581 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fuzzy317,

Thanks for the reminder.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2017  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Houndman 3581 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hondo,

According to the rules,random was the way it was to be done. Florida was a renegade for some reason and did it by assigned quota which gave No.1 to the largest city and the last number to the smallest. The Ladies received a random number that represented the county in Tennessee. The G.L. and S.L. Contest Coin Lavaliers of "your" Tennessee county had the same number but one coin had S.L. (second place) and the other had G.L.(First Place) for the County Contest. Both ladies went to the State or Governor's Ball to compete for the Atlanta Trip and Ball.
The most difficult thing to find out are the Numbers and the towns/cities or counties they represent as well as the winners names to match. I have some of them but not Tennessee No. 17.
See you in Raleigh, N.C. if you go to the show. I am taking the first coin grading seminar. Good luck in the future.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2017  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Houndman you gave us a bunch of good info. Do you have any of these Stone Mountains yourself?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2017  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Houndman 3581 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not Mint To Be,

Yes I do. I collect US, Canadian and British Counterstamped Coins. Be mostly US Counterstamps. I have researched counterstamps for years and am fascinated by the Stone Mountain counterstamped.
Coins. I notice you live in Missouri have you run across a Missouri (Mo.) counterstamped Stone Mountain Half Dollar? Do you collect The Stone Mountain Counterstamps?
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you planning to see if PCGS will grade this one for you? Is there a Baltimore show coming up soon that you could get info for it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2017  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I will send it to PCGS at some point.
Baltimore is coming up again in June. I think there's a dealer who is usually there who could help me out with some info, but I don't know if I will submit it at the show or not.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2017  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do other members here have PCGS graded counterstamped Stone Mountains that they could share a picture of.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kris10rowe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to private message some of the posters on this topic but since I am new it will not let me email/message! So here it goes- I recently acquired the following coin and want to learn more about it and also to have its value appraised/estimated. I cant seem to find many people local to do this for me. Can anyone give me some insight into this coin? Its a Stone Mountain with a Florida Counterstamp. Someone also mentioned to me they thought the stars had been double struck? but I have no idea what that means ! Trying to learn

Pillar of the Community
United States
4343 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kris10rowe...

Welcome to the Community!

Nice acquisition!

This thread is a couple of years old but the information contained is timeless!

Someone with knowledge about your specific coin should chime in later...(hopefully!). Please be patient and don't get frustrated.

(A couple of hints about your pictures: 1. Shoot your photos on a solid background, 2) crop the background, and 3) properly orientate your pictures as it is very hard to pick up our monitors and rotate them 90 degrees! Turning our heads sideways is very uncomfortable, too!)

Edited by westernsky
05/16/2019 12:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
70978 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community, kris10rowe!

Quote:
I tried to private message some of the posters on this topic but since I am new it will not let me email/message!
We prefer the discussion to take place here. This is how we learn!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05