Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 Wheat Penny Weighing 3.30 Grams

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 8,018Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49668 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2017  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uh, probably not.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2017  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for your knowledge. I will keep it with my other wheat pennies.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16798 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it had weighed 4 grams or more I'd say yes. Being just .05 grams out of spec I'd say no.
Gary Schmidt
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doogie309 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a rare error for 1942 pennies struck on wrong planchette. Accidentally struck on planchette for pennies that were also being made for Ecquador? (Can't remember country). They look and measure exactly the same...same thickness too. But,they are heavier. And it is valuable. I have one too. It took forever to figure out what the deal was.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF Doogie309!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5154 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop had previously provided this info.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doogie309

Quote:
There is a rare error for 1942 pennies struck on wrong planchette. Accidentally struck on planchette for pennies that were also being made for Ecquador? (Can't remember country). They look and measure exactly the same...same thickness too. But,they are heavier. And it is valuable. I have one too. It took forever to figure out what the deal was.

I responded then retracted cause my mind interpreting the data I use was going in two direction. Think you're onto something and thanks for pointing it out.

Philly mint was busy with lots of foreign coinage with similar compositions this year. Will update after going through the material again. Thanks, Doug.

Follow up:

Quote:
Accidentally struck on planchette for pennies that were also being made for Ecquador? (Can't remember country). They look and measure exactly the same...same thickness too. But, they are heavier.

If I read the reference I use most often correctly, it shows the following -

Philadelphia produced coinage for -
Ecuador
Year: 1942
Denomination: 10 Centavos
Composition: 80% copper, 20% zinc
Weight 3.00grams
Diameter 19.00mm
Note: the similarities to the U.S.Cent would not account for extra weight.

Ecuador
Denomination: 20 Centavos
Composition: 80% copper, 20% zinc
Weight 4.00grams
Diameter 21.00mm
Note: the similarities to the U.S.Cent, but 21.00mm diameter will not fit the collar for a U.S. cent.

More food for thought,

Peru
Denomination: 5 Centavos
Composition: 70% copper, 30%zinc
Weight 3.00grams
Diameter: 17.00mm

Note: again the weight and diameter. I'm thinking at this point the potential for blanking U.S. Cents from the wrong or foreign stock is a more likely possibility than struck on an actual foreign planchet. I'll let someone else do the math. Pending if the math does or does not compute, then as mentioned rolled thick stock is a likely suspect. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
08/03/2018 10:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5154 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Halo,
Thanks for the information, very useful.
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1293 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2018  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I've read on here they say not to get a coin graded unless it's worth over $500 otherwise your doing it just because you want to.
Edited by Willburton
08/05/2018 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5154 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From what I've read on here they say not to get a coin graded unless it's worth over $500 otherwise

It is recommended if the coin value is $200.00 or more.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NLL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome doogie. I recommend creating a new thread for your coins in question.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carmdogg708 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What ever happened here? Did u send it out? I a 1958 penny same issue
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16798 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
More food for thought,

Peru
Denomination: 5 Centavos
Composition: 70% copper, 30%zinc
Weight 3.00grams
Diameter: 17.00mm

Note: again the weight and diameter. I'm thinking at this point the potential for blanking U.S. Cents from the wrong or foreign stock is a more likely possibility than struck on an actual foreign planchet. I'll let someone else do the math. Pending if the math does or does not compute, then as mentioned rolled thick stock is a likely suspect. Thanks, Doug.

A cent planchet punched from the Peru 5 centavo stock would weigh 3.37 grams (close enough to the OP coin to be possible). Punched from the Ecuador 20 centavos stock it would weigh 3.63 grams (Too heavy). The Peru stock planchet could be a possibility, but 70% copper 30% zinc is cartridge brass which tends to be much more yellow than the regular cent stock and is more tarnish resistant. The alloy is different enough from that of the regular alloy that it should be identifiable by specific gravity or an XRF gun.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/07/2020 11:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A cent planchet punched from the Peru 5 centavo stock would weigh 3.37 grams....

I agree wholeheartedly about the XRF "gun" analysis.

But if it was a Peruvian planchet (17mm struck diameter on the chart) that expanded to 19mm, this could explain the added weight without the added thickness on the OP's coin.
I would imagine the Peru planchet would be smaller in diameter (16mm maybe?) to fit in the collar for the 5 Centaco coin.
Edited by Petespockets55
07/08/2020 07:09 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 8,018Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05