Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885-O Morgan VAM-14?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
7422 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  7:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this one tagged as a VAM-14 but now I'm second guessing it due to the lack of the "vertical mark" of the denticle. What do you think Nate?

Member SSDC
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like a VAM-14 to me Dave! No sign of the denticle chip whatsoever?
Pillar of the Community
7422 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, none, but this is a near miss for PL so it's a fairly early strike.
Member SSDC
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is strange. Mine is semi-PL, but not PL. Just for giggles, could you snap a shot of LIBERTY?
Pillar of the Community
7422 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at work at the moment but I will this evening.
Member SSDC
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No rush. Everything matches V14 as far as I can tell. Just curious is all.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flyank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are 2 additional photos of mine. On the thread we were discussing over the past few days regarding my coin it was designated as a VAM-16. My ear and eagle's neck are an exact match to yours so I assume yours to be a VAM-16 based on the experts weighing in on my thread.

Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours and Dave's coin are different, and the photos actually do not match. I've been trying to find any similarities between these obverse dies, but have yet to find anything strong which suggests just two different dies just like the 2 different reverse dies. Unless the V16 OBV die is a much later die state of the V14 die, but I still have yet to find anything conspicuous.
Pillar of the Community
7422 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a close up of LIBERTY and a few other re-shoots while I had my 50mm lens hooked up.

Member SSDC
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, definitely VAM-14 Dave! Will make a note on the page later about the chip not being on all specimens.
Pillar of the Community
7422 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nate. Feel free to use any of my images.
Member SSDC
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, your photos are great and will probably be a great addition to the page. When I get time I will put them up.

Flyank: were you able to see differences between your coin and Daves?
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flyank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nate... I was not able to discern the differences but being a new variety collector I chalk it up to inexperience. I am happy though that my initial thread spurred such an energetic discussion and led to a new "finding". I would appreciate any guidance in helping me to understand the difference. Many Thanks! Bob
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2017  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello sir, I am sorry to be quick, but I have not been feeling well. Compare Dave's photo of LIBERTY and see if they are the same or not. The other big difference between the VAM-14 and VAM-16 is the mint mark position. While somewhat similar, one is set slightly higher, indicating a different reverse. I will admit there are slight similarities with the ear and wing/neck gap, but if you look close you should see they really are not the same. The ear on the VAM-14 has much more going on inside the ear, and the wing/neck gap has fine polish lines in a downward and to the right diagonal fashion, as the VAM-16 is not quite as steep and has some pitting near the top. Hope this helps. If I had time I would use photos to illustrate. Perhaps soon I will if needed. Take care, and as always, HAVE FUN :)
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flyank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just adding a few more photos and unfortunately I am having a difficult time seeing the difference in LIBERTY...but again...being a newbie is probably the problem. I hope you feel better and thank you for the previous reply.

Pillar of the Community
7422 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The differences that Nate is referring to is the die polish lines through the LIBERTY motto, the narrow (eagles left) wing gap and in the ear.

Also, the mint mark position of VAM-16 is set slightly higher than VAM-14.

Member SSDC
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.13 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05