Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help with a 1986 D Half Dollar?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  8:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add artstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A 1986 D Half dollar that has a defect on the obverse side of the coin. It also has it on the Liberty as well and on the backside of Kennedy's head. Your thoughts please?

Edited by artstaz
06/18/2017 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1649 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way the grain of the metal is seen flowing towards the rim the doubling (defect) you see is caused by a worn out die - Die Deterioration.
Completed my Dansco ASE 7181 on 8/6/2017. 32 of 32
Every coin spot free! Tougher to find water spot free Eagles than I thought!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Artstaz, boy, had me going for a bit. Thought it may be a distorted. VLDS DDO for a minute, because thought I was seeing notching on the letters among that metal flow and some MD. The major give-a-way came when I saw the closeup of WE, see the die crack between WE and designer initials? It's definitely MD in NW/SE direction, die cracks don't look like that normally...that MD matches all over. What an interesting set of combined flaws on that one!
"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Edited by Crazyb0
06/18/2017 9:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow....Crazy! I never noticed that one....thanks for pointing this out to me. I have been doing research on this particular flow and it seems your right Crazy. They are interesting flaws to point out. I'm going towards more of die fatigue. This doubling will usually but not always be in combination with an “orange-peel” effect on the fields of the coin, created by the stress in the metal on the dies. Then again, I thought maybe, the line between the "numbers" mainly, the "U", "R", and "GOD", could be a "double die'"

Lets not forget a possible strike doubling on the "D". Notice that there are no splits in the serifs on this "D"? The doubling is flat, shelf-like, and low to the field.

Just my opinion guys. Learning from experts like you makes it all more challenging indeed....
Edited by artstaz
06/18/2017 10:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "doubling" on MM is classic MD as well. My impression is that there is "two direction" MD. This can happen on the downstroke (#1) and in the reverse, or any other direction as the hammer die moves away (#2), and usually when the die is loose. This usually makes quite a racket until the operator gets his trusty screwdriver and tightens it up!

That die is very stressed, notice just how many fissures are beginning to start off the ends of the letters (close-ups), wow. Wonder if that die didn't just flat explode!
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pictures for you guys. Sorry, just learning how to adjust lighting and such...

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is it worth sending it in for grading?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  12:46 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For grading, I don't think so, these are not valuable errors, just damage on coin, grading fees woul kill you on any value.

Because the 6, 9, and D are all in same direction it's MD, besides VERY seldom is a coin both DDO and RPM. Whenever you see both, big red flag, with clear MD, well, you get the picture. Post another pix with all motto in it (IN GOD WE TRUST), may have to move back, but get it all in one w/ better lighting. Same with LIBERTY, get as much as you can in one pix. Hint; some times close-up get TMI, don't need that close for DDO/RPM. Take a look at these examples:

I'm still trying to figure out that notching on some letters, it is most likely die deterioration & MD at same time, but, need the backed up fuller image of all letters.
Edited by Crazyb0
06/19/2017 12:50 am
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy, I did my best on the pictures. I'm learning as we go so I truly hope this helps? Thank you for helping me out. I have another 1965 dime that I believe is a double strike or double die as well. Will be posting it soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, final verdict...coin is a VLDS disaster. It does show massive die deterioration all over, that we knew. There is definite directional MD (Northwest) that appears all over (see arrows & points noted. Still not sure what the end of right bar of the R of LIBERTY is. It just may be deteriorating die in Hair for all I can tell. There is no doubling any where seen including MM. Because of the hardness of Cupronickel, you get those kind of heavy flow lines and wear patterns, especially when zeroing in at hi-mag...begin seeing every flaw. The "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrome. Die wear/flow is going Southeast as seen on MM and lower potion of date.

Edited by Crazyb0
06/19/2017 2:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well at least now I know what it really is Crazy. I thank you again for your time and expertise. I learned a lot from this one and hoping to learn even more as the story moves on and on.....

Like I said on my previous post, I have a 1965 Dime with a different error variation. I will post it maybe later tonight. Until then thanks again.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05