Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buying and Selling Gold Nuggets  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Ireland
68 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  09:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2taol to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I notice on E-bay there are gold nuggets for sale
of various weights.
My questions are:

Are these legit?
is anyone buying them?
and once you have them what do you do with them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9281 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larger nuggets, over a half ounce, with a reliable province to a specific find location are readily collected. They will cost much more than their gold spot content.

Mineral and gem collectors might also add pieces to their collection.

Like any collectable, they give satisfaction to their owners. Their appearance will have a larger influence on price than the gold content alone. They are very rarely melted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like with everything on eBay where is the seller located,and will the item be real or just plated. If you have to have one located a real gem & mineral dealer and find out if the have a store on eBay. The rep's on it aren't much good since they can be padded. And has stated some of the prized locations will have a higher premium if they have the proper provernance.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13101 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beware! Gold nuggets like anything else, have been faked.

Nuggets around one ounce carry a bigger premium per gram than nuggets of much snaller size, which are much more numerous.

The most common method to fake a natural nugget is to melt a small amount of native rock with pure gold, and pour the mixture into water.
A fraudulent double profit can be realised: an increased premium per gram for the larger nugget and the addition of valueless rock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9281 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point, Sel. If you buy from larger auction houses, not eBay, you stand a much smaller chance of deception.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1550 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nuggets are cool but not a good way to collect precious metals. If you sell them you'll be lucky to get low carat dental gold pricing.

I've bought a few small ones in gold mining regional shops but never on eBay. Quartz inclusions make them more interesting to me. Same thing with emeralds embedded in the rock matrix.

The coolest I've seen are Michigan native silver inclusions in rock.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/17/2017 3:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13101 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake nuggets can be detected with the use of XRF, looking for trace metals such as tellurium, and not copper or silver. Copper or silver can be added from coin gold.
Valued Member
Ireland
68 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2017  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2taol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the info.

Yea I was thinking that eBay probably would not be a great place to buy.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05