Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Preferences when purchasing gold ?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  1:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wile E to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello forum members,

Tons of information on this site!

At some point, I'll purchase gold--at the current prices probably 1oz or less at one time. Do most of you tend to collect bars or coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8120 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Being as this is a coin forum I am sure you will hear most people say coins.

Coins (usually) have history and government backing on their purity, are available in a wide variety of sizes and are more attractive than bars or rounds.

High grade gold coins such as common U.S. Eagles ($10) and Half Eagles ($5) are available with third party certification (PCGS, NGC, ANACS) for a nominal amount above their melt value and are a good way to get started.

Best of luck and welcome aboard.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
985 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking to invest in gold, American Eagles are a good way of doing so. They sell at spot + 40-50 and dealers will buy them back at spot +20. If you are patient and wait for deals to come up, you can sometimes buy at spot + 30, which is only a $10/oz spread. At shows you can sometimes do even better as it seems there is always somebody looking to unload.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7348 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all the options available, I'd recommend TPG gold Eagles as a first choice. They are practically instant cash if you ever needed to sell.
Pillar of the Community
United States
985 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you get the premium back on the TPGd gold Eagles when you sell? I would never buy one of the MS-70 gold Eagles as 70% of them come back MS-70. I'd just send in a nice looking one and get it slabbed for a few bucks.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7348 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't slab them yourself, buy them with PCGS or NGC encapsulation already assigned. MS or PF 69 recommended. Yes, there is a difference between buy and sell prices, but the gap, percentage wise, is less for those two TPG. You get gold with a collecting base over and above spot value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the Mexico 20 Peso gold from any major online bullion dealer, if you haven't already. Low premium, 15g marked and a design I personally like. Even lower premiums on the 50 Peso, but that's 1.2+ oz.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2954 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say get some fractional gold like quarters and tenth ozers. Also I do agree with another member, look into those mexico 20 pesos gold......beautiful and can get them close to melt. Otherwise collect what you like.....make it more fun
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like them all!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like buying Canadian NCLT a few years after issue. Generally .999 with lots of beautiful designs and every fractional you could ever want up to 1/25. With very few exceptions you can buy them a few years after issue for melt.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3637 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bars or coins - they are both equally liquid in 24K purity. Buy the cheaper one. You'll get a better deal on larger amounts. It's really that simple. Don't let people sway you into buying fancy designs that you'll get attached to or buying a lesser purity than 24K. If I could write a book on buying gold, this would be the only paragraph.
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, equally liquid but you get a better price selling recognized govt issue like Maples, Pandas, AGEs etc than selling Sunshine Mint rounds. And you don't have to buy the double secret decoder ring.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wile E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Exactly the type of information I was looking for! I didn't much think the TPG important, but it makes sense (good for a beginner like myself).

Andrew mentioned patience, which is a quality I have; I'll try to use it to my advantage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
999 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider classic coins (ones that actually circulated) of any country from the pre-1933 gold standard era. In my mind they mean something more than current bullion type coins or bars (although I don't always say no to them).
Valued Member
Ireland
61 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2017  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2taol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is a coin site but from an investing point of view
I would have thought that plain gold/silver bullion would be
the way to go rather than a numismatic coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2017  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold.Doesn't pay dividends. Lousy investment.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05