Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Residue from a 1925 Penny  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
12 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  12:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nikstaa101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

You've probably seen the title and thought "no no no", but I would like some input on the devaluation of cleaning an Australian copper penny. My understanding has always been once you clean it, it's worth virtually nothing as the appeal disappears for the collector / the cleaning process damages the coin and as a result of this, I have never attempted to clean a coin. In this particular case it's one 1925 penny that I found in an old bag of mixed coins at a garage sale.

Now, I've always stuck to the philosophy of "Don't clean a coin... ever" especially If it's of any particular value. The coin I'm talking about, as you can see in the photos below, has a large buildup of green residue on the reverse and minimal amounts on the obverse. Other than the residue (which I'm not sure if technically classed as verdigris) the coin isn't in too bad shape.

At what point does a valuable coin become too dirty to be worth anything? One person has been continuously suggesting that I should attempt some form of cleaning as it they think it would be worth more after cleaning (without damaging the coin) than it would be with the green residue.

I also have another 1925 that is also in rough shape - I can post photos if anyone is interested.

Any input on this post is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nik.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13275 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bronze disease needs to be passivated asap !
Google how that is to be done.
Scarring may be left behind by damage already done.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1414 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conservation (the nice word for cleaning properly) could at least make this presentable for a collection rather than something you want to toss in the garbage, even if the value does not go up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
846 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check this tread... a good conservation job.

http://goccf.com/t/294109
"Wisdom is not a product of schooling
but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein
Valued Member
Australia
145 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soak in WD40 for a few hours.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9992 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pure acetone soak.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13275 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone soaking has absolutely zero effect on verdigris (bronze disease).
Bronze disease is inoraganic in it's action.
Australia
12 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nikstaa101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05