Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 Newfoundland cent with thin flan  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  5:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pimpim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've found a Newfoundland cent with a very thin flan. My picture contains a normal cent 1917. The normal cent has a weight of 5,5 gr and a diameter of 25,5 mm and the odd cent weighs 2,3 gr with a diameter of 24,5mm. I wander if this cent is an error of the mint or it is a novelty. The strike is quite blurr and I don't understand how the mint could fabricate that kind of error because of it's thinnest and the cent is perfectly round. Here are the pictures I've taken with my cell phone. I hope that it will be clear to understand my description.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13358 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is quite genuine.
It has suffered from lamination, and a surface layer from both sided has spalled off. The surface layers have fallen off, after the coin was struck, thus showing an indistinct image on what is left of the coin.
The fault has it's origins in the rolling of the bronze strip before the blank was punched out.
A common reason for the lamination is a drop of oil has dropped on the strip during the rolling process and has spread out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2329 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not an error, the coin was soaked in acid. Acid eats away from all surfaces leaving a thinner, smaller coin, with devices and lettering also thinned out.
Formerly SlurExe97

Toronto Coin Club
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Pillar of the Community
United States
3444 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, if you could find the other pieces.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, so we are at the flip of a coin so to speak...
Still trying to complete my Dansco 7000.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12422 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indistinct devices plus lack of a rim(reduced diameter) equals chemical erosion.
ANA R-3151318
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13358 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I have seen quite a few full lamination errors, the acid explanation could well be right.
I note that there is a minor, but distinct difference in the diameter of the two coins pictured.
Lamination would produce a result where the core would remain at the original diameter, and that does not appear to be the case here.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10520 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking acid before I opened the subject. I would to agree with that explanation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1432 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so acid ate the entire rim away, I was thinking wrong planchet, but what do I know..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2865 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AJ*. * acid job.
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Pillar of the Community
Canada
981 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is acid yes I agree all devices shrunken equally. Dies can't do that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't really have to be "acid" as we know it ... coke or Pepsi will do the same thing (or at least used to). You have to change the liquid out after a while.
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2017  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pimpim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your commentaries. I will test myself the acid job and I will give the results eventually.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05