Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Satin Finish Years  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4154 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
According to the RedBook, the satin finish years were from 2005-2010. Having said that, in your albums do you include the satin coins along with the business strikes? I was looking at the mintage numbers for the satin coins and they have significant lower mintages than their business strike counterparts. I guess what I am asking is do you consider the satin coins to be the same at BS coins or an entirely different coin? Hope that makes sense.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3186 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on collection and collector. Personally, not an issue, if hole is filled, that's good enough for me. Others prefer to have every issued coin. Especially since the 2010's and above are commanding top dollar now. These are WAAAAYYYY, overpriced now, wait a decade, then buy the sets.
"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
5588 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check TheNickelGuy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I do for my Jefferson nickel set only, along with proofs and regular business strikes. I also include special mint set issues, and matte coins like the 1994 and 1997 and just recently picked up the 2017 S special 225th Anniversary issue that is not a proof strike but another special uncirculated coin not intended for circulation.
But is all up to you if you want to collect them and extend your set.
signature:

Sign Here x ___________________________
Pillar of the Community
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of those sets get gutted by a collector who only wants a coin or two for their complete sets.

You can sometimes find them at shows with coins already removed, some for hopefully high grades, some from collectors eating their favorite varieties, and the end results can be found for really cheap prices.

Ask for split sets. At large shows the dealers may not have brought them but you can still make a deal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is do you consider the satin coins to be the same at BS coins or an entirely different coin?

When viewed side by side the finish on satin coins is clearly different from both business strikes and proofs. So as far as I'm concerned they are different coins.

I agree with TNG; my Jefferson set also has business strikes, proofs, SMS, mattes and satins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4154 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may elect to do the satin finish dimes simply because they are of a different finish but also because they have a different mintage than the regular issue. I'm just not sure about doing the proofs though.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin_Operator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collected the satin finishes for my Kennedy's and state quarters. It was a different finish so I needed them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
576 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check billymac11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made a custom Dansco album for each denomination from 2005-2010. Glad I did.
60 of 72 in my 7070.
ANA #3186685
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlbumAccumulator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before I sold all of my albums I added a page in each one for these and the 1965-67 SMS coins. I recently bought all of the 05-10 sets for $2 over face. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.
Learn More...
United States
45006 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not bother to collect or differentiate these, mostly because I do not buy annual mint sets. I try to get my business strike coins from circulation and typically only use a mint set coin to fill the holes for "mint set only" issues (there have been a few exceptions).

However, for what it is worth, if for some reason this situation occurred during the Eisenhower dollar run, I would definitely collect both a circulating coin and a satin finish coin from the mint set. Even though for my other series I would still ignore them. This is similar to what TNG has done for his nickels. I am sure a large number of hardcore collectors of other series, like Lincoln cents, do the same.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05