Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 New Penny Any thoughts!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry about the title I had to add to make it long enough. But heres the coin. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Check PatAR's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From as early as Charlemagne and King Offa the 12 pennies per shilling and 20 shillings per pound units of account were commonly thought of in Europe. Only the pennies were actual coins at that point as the others were merely units of account. These borrowed from the Roman units for denarius, etc. Pepin and Charlemagne's new silver pennies were then referred to as new denarius as they were silver at that time. This is why, to this day, the pennies of the old English system are referred to as 1D, for denarius, from King Offa's adoption of the similar silver pennies. Although weights of these early coins was not precisely 240 to the pound, William I later fixed the actual wieghts to match the standard. For about a thousand years the English monetary system was based on this. In 1971, the UK changed to a decimal coinage system (100 pennies to the pound) and the new penny you posted is among the first of the new coins, although some new denominations were actually issued as early as 1968. Although the United Kingdom was among the last to change to a decimal coinage, your 1971 new penny in some ways parallels the new pennies of Pepin and Charlemagne from 1200 years earlier. It signaled the end of old ways and acknowledged that while every nation is sovereign unto itself, it must adapt and adopt systems that make it competitive in a world marketplace.
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow,I tip my hat to you Sir or Madam ( which ever may be the case). I truly do appreciate the info. I love learning about history and I just received a lesson. I do truly thank you!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Mintage for 1971 'new' penny: 1521,666250.
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1.5 billion? Wow! That's a lot of coins.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
365 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This, along with the 1971 2p coin, is the oldest still in circulation within the UK. It is bronze but later issues are copper-coated steel because it is cheaper.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05