Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Cent has nice color, but do you think it was acid dipped in it's past?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KevininFLA™ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like an Acid dipped coin to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, looks like it was placed in some kind of corrosive liquid.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9365 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those photos gave me eye twitch.

Acid, almost certainly.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really want to know what kind of acid causes this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16855 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid treated for sure.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4093 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really want to know what kind of acid causes this.

Here you go:

Quote:
Copper is an unreactive metal and doesnt react in normal circumstances with dilute acids. However, it does react with nitric acid. Why is this?

Nitric acid is an oxidizing agent and the reaction is not the usual acid + metal reaction. The products are oxides of nitrogen instead of hydrogen. The actual nitrogen oxide formed depends on the concentration and temperature of the acid.

from here: https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...-nitric-acid
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KevininFLA™ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was in line at the Bank, behind a woman that deposited a bunch of rolled coin. No Halves, though.
I bought $11.50 worth of Cents and pulled only 3 Wheaties and about 3 rolls of copper Cents out of the bunch.
I'm about blind from searching them at one sitting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like metal etching solution, hydrochloric if I remember right. A high school science project that Little Johnnie in the Garage needed to do to graduate into Bomb-making 101.

...Bang...
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Edited by Crazyb0
08/12/2017 5:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Copper is an unreactive metal and doesnt react in normal circumstances with dilute acids.

Maybe the acid used only reacted with the 5% tin/zinc?
Hence the details and the mostly smooth edges are still there?
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Edited by Mark1959
08/12/2017 5:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4093 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yep I'm not sure.

Not that I'm advocating destroying copper cents, but it might be an interesting experiment to look at the effect of different acids/concentrations/exposure times/temperatures.

"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19972 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like heat to me. Maybe a blow torch.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hence the details and the mostly smooth edges are still there?

I was looking for something like this just because I thought it would bring out the dates on my dateless LWCs. It's because the tin and zinc are much softer than the copper.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like heat to me. Maybe a blow torch.

When you say blow torch do you mean Oxy/Acetlene (that I've melted glass with) or those propane soldering torches - I have one on my porch that I use to light my charcoal, I could try it out right now and post pics!!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most acid dipped coins lose detail instead of improving it like in rasised date Buffalos. John1 may be right...if acid is used, the rim dissolves first(outside in). Extreme heat (2000+) will burn off impurities and cause that mottled effect, I change my vote to heat!
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK - not Oxcy/Acetylene nor hand held propane welding torch.

First one is Oxy/Acetylene - melted the coin in 5 seconds. Second one is 5 mins of heat applied from hand held propane torch! - nothing!!
Yes, 95% copper cents were used!
Must be from "Propane and Propane Accessories" - AKA Hank Hill - LOL!

Edited by Mark1959
08/12/2017 7:11 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05