Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes.








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

ID Help. Spain 1600's?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,501Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Chute72's Avatar
United States
1314 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  7:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
This came in a lot and the 2x2 was marked Spain 1600.
I'm guessing European, but really haven't a clue.
Thanks.

ID-Help.--Spain-1600's?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
5186 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suspect Spanish Netherlands rather than Spain, but it's a shot in the dark either way.

What's the diameter?
Pillar of the Community
Chute72's Avatar
United States
1314 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you are right. I see several Liards that may fit the image.
Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Joseph7420's Avatar
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd suspect Spanish Netherlands rather than Spain, but it's a shot in the dark either way.


I think it looks like either a 1 or 2 liard piece from Namur, made under the reign of Philip V. At least, comparing the shield under the crown, Philip V seems to match the best. Now, I can only hope that this is a 2 liard one, since if it is, it would be a one-year type. If it is the 1 liard one, I am not sure if determining a specific year would be possible. And, with how worn down the coin in question is, I think only the diameter can tell the two apart.

Links!
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces39688.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces66526.html
Pillar of the Community
Chute72's Avatar
United States
1314 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My numbers point to the 1 Liard.
Dia. 23mm
wt. 2.7 gm
The year may forever be a mystery.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Forums