Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Impaired 1973 Proof Dollar -- Question  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add filkambel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Attached are some pictures of a proof 1973 Ike with a curious (to me) impairment. I'd bought this set through eBay from a person's estate sale for a very reasonable price, but -- of course -- the Ike, which is the centerpiece I was looking to acquire, has this greenish "impact" mark on the reverse, with a circular halo. Does anyone have any information for me? Thanks in advance!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add filkambel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. These pictures are taken with the coin in situ -- through the plastic case. It appears as if the circular "halo" is on the coin, and not the casing. But I'm open to reinspecting this upon request. Perhaps there was some sort of "point" stress placed on the case, causing the coin below it to grow that greenish blob (copper-based, I'd guess)?

And -- can this sort of thing be safely "cleaned" or repaired with acetone, or some such?
Edited by filkambel
08/13/2017 12:53 am
Learn More...
United States
11259 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:09 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Learn More...
United States
46526 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch.

You might have some luck with acetone, but that is as far as I would go.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add filkambel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fuzzy317: Thanks for the move! Fast again! I'll note the proper forum for future reference. JBuck -- yes; that's what I'm thinking, but I think I'll experiment with acetone on some uninteresting coins first! The trouble is, I don't have any uninteresting proof coins with this odd imperfection! :./
Learn More...
United States
46526 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are wise to want to experiment first.

However, if you do not have anything else to test, I can assure you that 100% pure acetone is safe. Just dip or soak the coin. Do not rub or pick at the spot. If acetone is going to remove it, it will remove it on its own. If not, then the damage is probably done.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3236 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably some organic matter (most likely a drop of spit or something from a sneeze) that occured during the manufacturing or packaging process at the mint. Over the next 45 years the contamination oxidized and/or corroded the metal.

Acetone is your best bet to see if it can be mitigated. Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9366 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know your results after you've had a chance to use the acetone.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add filkambel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sneeze? Ew! Thanks to all who've replied thus far. Acetone (I bought some at the local hardware store) seems to at least not be a disastrous thing to contemplate. In the absence of any other advice, I'll have to practice on some other coins and work up the courage. :.)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13020 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can try acetone but I doubt it will help. If not, you have nothing to lose by trying a dip. The dip may remove or at least lessen the halo, but the center corrosion spot will most likely still be there. This isn't something you can "fix" just lessen the visual damage.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
46526 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll have to practice on some other coins and work up the courage. :.)
A wise course of action.

Never do anything you do not feel comfortable doing.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add filkambel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101: It really does look like the "halo" is part of the impairment. I suppose the next step is to crack the case and inspect the coin directly. But I'm dashed as to what sort of damage/defect would produce that halo!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13020 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2017  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The center spot is some kind of organic matter, As it breaks down the docomposiiton product tend to be acids and they spread out radially from the center reacting withthe metal as they go resulting in a circular "halo" around the organic matter.
Gary Schmidt
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add filkambel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101: thanks for clearing that up. My area is probability and statistics, not coin impairment! I'm a little smarter now!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05