Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,127 / Views: 261,422Next Topic
Page: of 409
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3067 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure there are larger aluminium coins that would qualify. This one isn't even aluminium.

In fact, it only qualifies by being so ludicrously thin...

Qarakhanids, Rukn al-Din Muhammad bin Mas'ud, 566-574 AH (1171-1178/9 AD), AE (or low billon) broad dirham, type of Samarqand.
Album 3401 (whatever that means), supposedly Kochnev 1063 (type of 572 AH), date probably reads [57]3 AH (1177 AD).

33x32 mm, about 4 grams (as described in this thread).

I apologize for the relative lack of photo quality, and of measurement quality for that matter.
Will try to take better measurements (and pics, if possible) if/when I actually find the coin again
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10570 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  01:15 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess smallest heavy coin will be the next challenge.
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Learn More...
United States
86068 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact, it only qualifies by being so ludicrously thin...
Well played!

Quote:
I guess smallest heavy coin will be the next challenge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Portugal V Reis, 1797. This particular coin weighs 4.9 grams, and is 30 mm.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15049 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Advertising Tokens)
Workworld 1 dollar
No cash value.
Weight = 2.62 g
Diameter = 32 mm.

Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I feel a little dumb right now. I was just getting ready to post a really cool 57mm by 101mm wooden nickel when I re-read the rules that all entrants in this challenge must be metal. So much for feeling smug that I was going to blow you guys out of the water.

My fall-back will be this 10th Century silver Dirham from Tashkent (Uzbekistan). It weighs 4.4 g and has a diameter of 30 mm.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15049 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So much for feeling smug that I was going to blow you guys out of the water.

The same thing happened to me!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8272 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kingdom of Cambodia -- 50 sen, 1959:

31mm, 3.9g
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15049 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notes to the challenger or person in charge of this contest.

Quote:

I apologize for the relative lack of photo quality, and of measurement quality for that matter.I will try to take better measurements (and pics, if possible) if/when I actually find the coin again

Quote:
If the challenger or new challenger goes AWOL for more than 24 hours, the second place winner gets to pick the next coin. If all else fails, jbuck gets to go.

If you are a player ...play well
Edited by Dorado
04/09/2020 5:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3067 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I apologize for the relative lack of photo quality, and of measurement quality for that matter.I will try to take better measurements (and pics, if possible) if/when I actually find the coin again
OK, coin found.

Good news: the "about 4" was actually underprecise (technically, the linked thread actually said "about 4.0 grams"), and sure enough, the 0.01g precision electronic scale confirmed a weight of 4.03 grams.

Bad news: it's 32 mm all around. I'm not sure where the 33 came from.
(I don't have a caliper handy, so can't give the figures any more precisely, but from a look at the ruler it didn't seem to diverge from 32 much in either direction.)
(On second look, it's probably more like 31.9 mm. @Dorado - is your token exactly 32? If yes, you win.)

Middling news: the coin is so dark (was it then? I dunno, smartphone flash tends to overbrighten photos) that I'm not sure if I could manage good pics. I can probably try, though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15049 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(On second look, it's probably more like 31.9 mm. @Dorado - is your token exactly 32? If yes, you win.)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces166040.html
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5867 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice entries, all!

Just a few more hours left for entries - looks like Dorado is in the lead right now with 32mm!

I'm a bit surprised that Spence didn't have an uber-thin, uber-wide bracteate pfennig for this one. Some of those can approach crown-size while still staying under 1g.

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...1955&lot=501
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spence didn't have an uber-thin, uber-wide bracteate pfennig for this one

Hmm I'll check right after dinner. I don't think that I have any larger than 30 mm, but you are right that they can be paper thin.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok have now done a thorough accounting of diameters and weights for these old coins (not really a focus for me as I rather spend my time thinking about the minting date). I did find a 12th Century bracteate that was pretty big, but alas only 27 mm. When I went back further though, I did stumble upon this 7th Century Arab-Sassanian Drachm that measures 34 mm and 3.7g.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5867 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice last minute entry, @Spence!

If there are no more entries, looks like the Khusro II drachm wins at 34mm!

Take it away!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Page: of 409 Previous TopicReplies: 6,127 / Views: 261,422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05