Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Seated Half for Grade

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet the coin straight graded AU 58. If you cracked it out and sent to PCGS, it would come back in a details cleaned holder. NCS did a butcher job on the coin. NCS should have told you not to conserve the coin and leave orginal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5985 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BH
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30182 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure don't hear many good stories about NCS.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, So here is the outcome. The first image is of the first time it was returned and the second is the final. Not really sure or understand the "scratches" detail and the manager of conservation did not understand as well.

Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How could a cleaning get rid of scratches?

I know this might sound silly but is there such a thing as "properly cleaned"? How do they distinguish between "improperly" and "properly"?
College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Pillar of the Community
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you ever ask what chemicals or processes they used?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't they clean it? If so, are they saying they didn't clean it properly?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8785 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy that's tough to swallow as an observer. Not sure what I'd think if I owned it.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buckwil311, I am in the same boat as you#129300;, maybe I will send in all of the coins I have that have scratches and get them "cleaned"!
Mikef, I asked once and they would not tell me but I am going to push and see if they will tell me.
Chesterb, exactly, does that mean they do not know what they are doing or that they are conserving them incorrectly?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3043 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I prefer the coin before it was submitted to NCS. Looks like the coin was darkly toned but had great luster before "restoration."

From the "before restoration" photos, the coin looks like it had environmental damage, and now after the second NCS restoration, it looks much better.

Now, if I am seeing things wrong in the "before restoration" photos, I would probably be in the "should have left it alone" camp.

But if I am seeing things correctly, the coin looks prettier, the details stand out better, and I would rather have that coin in my collection. And on top of that, it would be a lot easier to sell in the future.
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5985 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you saying that the "restoration" got rid of the environmental damage? I don't see any ED in the last picture.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mikef, I called and talked with them about what and how they cleaned the coin. There response was "we cannot disclose that information", If they were to tell what and how they do it then everybody would be able to do it and they would have no business.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2017  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mikef, I called and talked with them about what and how they cleaned the coin. There response was "we cannot disclose that information", If they were to tell what and how they do it then everybody would be able to do it and they would have no business.

Figures. They do a crappy job and refuse to disclose the methods that failed. Why? Because if they reveal their 'trade secrets' on how to ruin a coin, everyone would be doing it themselves. Wait... nevermind, that's been going on for 70 years. What a crock of #%$&!

Thanks for posting this. I think we should start a 'post of the month' program. Where we can nominate posts for their educational value. I would vote this the most informative post of August.

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14763 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always seems best to just leave coins alone. The slab stating "improper" cleaning when they are the so called "pros" that did it. Amazing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting, OP. Quite an education and what an ordeal for you to go through.
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05