Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 P No Eyes Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  11:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinFan2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I am hoping someone can help here. I have come across a 2016P Jefferson nickel that has a very weak left eye (right side when looking at the coin) and no right eye at all. The socket is there, just not the eyeball. The rest of the coin appears normal (see attached) I am still quite new to collecting so my question is this... Is a weak strike considered an error just as a double die or something similar would be?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30024 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Can you crop and repost pic? Looks like maybe a grease filled die or over polished die.Need a close up.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be a polished die from a die clash. But I can't really see what's happening until we get a closer look.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24635 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with what Newbie said, but need better pictures and the pictures also need to be cropped.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFan2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully this will be better.

Thank you for your input.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4466 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not by much, but it does appear to be a grease filled die,it looks too smooth to be an abraded die.

By the way to the forum.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFan2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Chase007.
So, what does that mean? It is smooth as if untouched. One eye is completely smooth, the other is faintly there. No wear and tear at all. Nothing I can see of any scratches or marks. The rest of the coin appears to be unmarked as well. If it is "Grease Filled", does that mean it is not an error? If it is an error, there is nothing in the RedBook or Whitman publications that mention this, so I have no idea if there are others or if this is unique. I am planning to keep this coin, but it is interesting to see if I have something special here or not.

Thanks for the welcome too.

CF2017
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A grease filled die is an error, but not a variety. one primary difference is that one-off errors will not be listed in any books.
What happens is that the cavity of the die, which is what creates the details on the coin is filled or partially filled with grease. When the coin is struck, some details will be light or even missing as a result.
It is probable that a few coins will exhibit the same conditions, but variety is only established by a die variety.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFan2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cropped the first picture. Hopefully its better than the last ones.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A grease filled die is the product of normal die maintenance where machining imperfections are removed (die claches, nicks in die face). Over-polishing may occur which causes the diamond abrasive polishing paste and metal to become lodged within the die devices prohibiting a clear thorough striking as you see on the pupils, they have been filled up with the hardened gunk. An abraided die is a worn down die as in this example:

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFan2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BigSilver. That explains a couple Kennedy's I have as well. I have two of them that are missing the inner ear.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is it's a polished die.1 There where a lot of die clashes from that mint that year.2 The area around the eye seems to be completely intact.But as the name suggests,I'm still a newbie,But have looked at well over 100,000 of my 2nd favorite coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4466 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I adjusted the last Pic. and it looks like a filled die to me

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2017  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFan2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your input. It's appreciated.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NCSue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also just found one(unless you put yours back into circulation) :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40424 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this was a different issue. It is called over polishing of the die.

But on your coin it might have been an issue with feeder finger damage, they were trying to remove. I've seen examples of over polishing on different coins.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/08/2019 6:00 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05