Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The struggles of being a 16 yr old.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  8:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PennyPride to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For some reason, it is insanly difficult to be a coin collector as a sixteen year old. Nobody ever trust me, and they don't take me seriously! Nobody alows me to exchange cash for coins at coinstars, and I can't even simply buy a roll of pennies! The struggle is real!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't feel too bad. Around here banks will not sell or take any rolls unless you have an account with them. Luckily I've had an account with one bank branch that is in my town and the town one over from here. I get rolls at the near branch and dump searched rolls at the bank one town over - works well.

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hear that often among your age group. Since you don't have an account most likely at banks and the older ones don't recognize a youngster's passion for a real hobby!

Try finding a bank that has a youth account. Go with your folks to establish a low minimum balance checking account with minimal checks per month allowance. At the very least, you'll become a "customer", giving you some rights and privilidges. Hopefully a bank where you can get and return the rolls. Check for banks that allow their customers to use their counter machines, directly applying the "deposit" to your account. I started by finding a banking chain(multiple branches) where one allowed me to use the machine for no fees that way... always got my coins from a different branch,same account still.

Another suggestion, find a coin club in your area. Find a Mentor there to help you if you folks don't.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Edited by Crazyb0
09/24/2017 9:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6615 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The banks in my town have free savings accounts for minors. There are no fees and no minimum balance.

You might find that you get better service at a credit union. We use two banks and one credit union. The banks make a stink if I ask for a roll of quarters. But the credit union is different. I have never ordered a box of coins -- just pick up an occasional roll, but they don't have any problem with that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13224 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had that same difficulty forty years ago. Although I would imagine it is even more difficult today.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1183 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And none of us have been through it!
Go to coin shows or befriend a coin shop.
I started out many years before the internet and many dealers included a few gems free with my small orders.
Don't give up you have many internet buddies about you.
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cuzzx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one thing you can do is go to the bank your parents use and talk with the vise P or even the President , explain your problem and go from there.
I even get rolls from the grocery store at times.
If you have a coin star return your old coins there, it will cost you but its an out.

Good Luck
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13358 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about starting a type set of U.S. coins?
A single example in best condition possible, of every design of every denomination, that you can find in circulation.

After you have been using this method of collecting for a year or so,
you can start buying them one at a time, paying a STRICT limit of one dollar, and no more, from your local coin shop.

I have been a coin collector for many decades, and this is one of my CURRENT methods of collecting coins, believe it or not!

By all means, keep here in the Coin Community Forum. You will always have faithful Forum Buddies of all ages, with whom you can share your coin collecting interests. They will always be happy to keyboard with you.
99% of my coin collecting friends live in America, and I live in Australia!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, I empathize with you I'm 17 and it is hard trying to collect when no one will give you the time of day. But I would certainly listen to everyone's advice about finding a coin show in your area, with multiple dealers, if one ignores you, you can just move on to the next table. If it's pennies your looking for I do have some that I would be willing to give to you to add to your collection, but you need at least 50 posts before I can PM you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  01:54 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, PennyPride! I just saw you're in North Richland Hills. My wife was born in the area and her mother grew up there. We're now in Canton, TX. Ever venture to First Monday here?

Anyway, you should certainly be able to have some sort of bank account in your name. That's what is most important to them. Then, you are a patron, not a nobody.

The first question is always "do you have an account?"

I don't have an account with any bank near me. However, I've gotten rolls (usually 10 at a time) from the Wal-Mart bank (Woodforest) and got one box of nickels from a local bank as a "one-time" deal not being an account holder.

Take heart. I'm 32 and get the same untrusting runaround, including getting carded for trying to buy Wite-Out.

At this point, I take it as a compliment.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3951 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you at a point where you could get a part time job on the weekends? If so, take advantage now; spending your weekends and an occasional night working (even for minimum wage) is really your best play. Even if you don't have a good outlet for buying coins now, going into college with $10k or even 20-30k will be a game changer in terms of how soon you can get back out of debt and settle into collecting for the long run. I didn't start working until I was 18, and while I never seriously struggled to make ends meet, having that exta pool beneath my checking account would have been nice.

Plus, what would you *really* prefer: a few thousand high AU pennies, or a handful of BU Morgans?
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Learn More...
United States
48603 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does get better as you get older. Until then, we are here to help.

However, do not be in a hurry to get there! Oh, to be 16 again and know what I know now!
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2017  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyPride to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but you need at least 50 posts before I can PM you
I don't see anywhere in the rule, spesifying that I need more than 50 post for you to PM me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3399 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2017  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes there are many dealers that won't take you seriously at your age but there are also many that will give you discounts and other preferential treatment since they want to encourage younger collectors. If you have a coin show nearby go and get to talking to some coin people. There will be some happy to assist you.

Coin roll hunting is tough for collectors of all ages since banks lose money/time dealing with them.
Learn More...
United States
48603 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2017  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't see anywhere in the rule, spesifying that I need more than 50 post for you to PM me.
Correct. New members cannot sent private messages (email), but valued members can send to anyone with messaging turned on regardless of post count. The decision to not message someone with a certain post count is entirely up to the sender.
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1357 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2017  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best you can do is to just hold on, it will get better eventually. I think we've all been there. And at some point you'll start feeling old when you're suddenly referred to as 'that mister/sir/man over there'. That'll be the point where you start missing being 16 again...

I remember how frustrating it was that you wanted to do business and people didn't take you seriously because you're young, pubescent and thus probably either cheating, not honest or too uninformed to make serious decisions. Just wait a few more months until you're 18 and make sure you have a valid ID showing so. Then grow a beard or so too, so you'll look much older at once, and remember to dress 'smart casual', that also helps.

Until then: trust me, it is also great to be 16, so enjoy it while it lasts!
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05