Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Greetings From A Re-energized Collector

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  4:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add guppie58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My passion for the hobby began as a young kid when my father gave me some Whitman cent folders and brought me to the credit union to buy some rolls of cents. I remember the rush of excitement every time I filled a hole in those folders. He also generously gifted me several rolls he had saved from his childhood so I could look through them and fill some of the older holes. He told me stories about looking through cent rolls as a kid in the 50s and everything he found. Supposedly he found a 1909-S VDB in a bank roll as a kid, but gave it away before I was born.

He also helped out by gifting me some proof sets during my early years.

I put the hobby on pause because I was a kid that had to pursue anything and everything. Then in 1999, the State Quarters happened. I was right back in it, as was half of the country. More hobbies happened, and my financial dependence at the time didn't allow me to do very much collecting.

After graduating from college, I began serving in the military. As a result of my job and my own personal travels, I've been to quite a few countries. Each time I've done my best to acquire full type sets of coins and bills of the countries I visit. That started a new collection of international currency that I can look at and remember my travels.

This past summer, when visiting my parents, I broke out the old collection to look at it. It brought back such fond memories, and I decided to get back into it. Having more financial freedom to collect has really gotten me excited about the hobby!

I have three main parts to my collection:
1. International currency
2. Circulated U.S. currency date sets - working to complete all modern types, Indian Head cents, Two-Cent Pieces, Liberty nickels, and Buffalo nickels. More sets when these are done.
3. Proof sets - I'm working to acquire all silver proof sets since 1992. I skipped several years between college and now, and the prices on some of them are outrageous (i.e. 2012). I have the clad proof sets from my birth year until 1992. I am also working to complete a set of West Point minted American Silver Eagle proofs (began in 2001).

I've been lurking around reading the forums here for a while, and I finally decided to join last week. It's nice to be a part of the community!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1665 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10615 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2723 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, and it is good that you are returning to your roots and enjoying it. Remember, whatever you do, do it for fun. You don't need to follow anyone's orders about what you should or should not collect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4038 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
guppie58 to CCF.
This is a great site to learn.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41448 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17479 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to your participation.
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBackPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, To CCF, Very nice life history . I know you will like it here . Heck of a bunch of nice guys and gals .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mac1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carwash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back to the hobby, bro!
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malgal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guppie58. I too was out of coin collecting for a long time and finally came back to it. Love it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2017  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. You're a real collector. Welcome back to the hobby! I can tell you I just bought a 2013-W Silver Eagle proof that has an "Enhanced Finish". It looks remarkable in the pics and I'm excited to see it in person.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05