Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this 1868 Spanish piece a medal, a token, or a contemporary counterfeit?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3315 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  1:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, I just found this unknown 1868 Spanish piece in a dealer's junk box. While the hole at the 12 o'clock position leads me to believe that it may be a small medal of some sort, but I'm really not sure. Any help IDing this piece would be appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1582 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an attempt at a 10 Escudos from Spain.
The real one would be gold. Here is the piece
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces37863.html
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3905 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an actual 90% gold coin made but your looks like a copy.

http://www.coindatabase.com/coin_de...cdb=2R230007

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3315 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BigSilver & Mark1959 - Thanks! Yep, it definitely looks like it's some sort of copy of the 10Es. But is there any way of knowing if it's some kind of medal emulating the 10Es or even a contemporary counterfeit in a light-colored brassy metal?
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Check PatAR's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There a number of threads on these forums that discuss these pieces.

They appear to be some sort of jeton or token and some appear to have been plated and passed (or attempted to pass) as counterfeits. Whether they began as counterfeits or as tokens is not even certain, because thus far no definitive information on their origins or precise history has been found.
Edited by PatAR
10/10/2017 10:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3315 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PatAR - Thanks for the info!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4484 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen these referred to as counters.

They are extremely common with the hole punched to dead center. Not many are seen without the hole and none appear with typical period cancellations.

I have always suspected these were used as jewelry suspended from a bracelet etc., but the idea of a counter is also quite viable.

I do not classify these as circulating counterfeits made expressly for that purpose. They fall into the same category as the Guinea and Half Guinea counters of George III of England. Some of these had advertising copy as legends.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05