Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When is counterfeit counterfeit?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Netherlands
1 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  06:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add marsvillicus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm planning on making and selling a magic trick of sorts that involves a coin mold in which a liquid metal (liquid at 95F)can be injected to produce coins that will melt at 95F.
The material for these coins costs a lot more than the actual value of the coins, and the color is quite different too. I'd like to make quarter dollar molds.

My questions is whether I'm breaking any counterfeit laws here?

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  07:32 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as it doesn't look close, I don't believe you have a problem. People make coins of chocolate, which melts around 95F, and have never had a problem either, except with them melting in their pockets.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Learn More...
Australia
12665 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Making or possessing the moulds themselves would be illegal, as it is illegal to make or possess items which could be used to create counterfeit coins. US Law Code, Title 18, Section 487. So even if the coins you made from them were "clearly fakes", having the dies or moulds means you could in theory try to make much more realistic-looking copies from those moulds.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3708 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you making the mold yourself, or purchasing one? Anything purchased from a magic shop should be fine in terms of not breaking US law.

If you are making them yourself, I would suggest either making them from a fantasy round (lots of cool designs on copper 1oz rounds) or from a non-circulating coin.
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13008 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a quarter and stamp COPY in it in san serif letters at least 2 mm high and the word being 6 mm long, then use that to make your mold. The resulting pieces when they are made will be marked in such a way as to make them legal under the Hobby Protection Act.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
9388 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By here do you mean the Netherlands where your location says or the US
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1222 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe that you're Dutch, so then the Dutch law applies if you perform your trick in The Netherlands. Here's the article that's relevant about valsmunterij: http://www.wetboek-online.nl/wet/We...cht/209.html

For short, you can create your coins without penalty, as you clearly show that you don't intend to use your coins as legal tender. You use different materials with a different color than the original and you use them in a magic trick, not in a shop. Not that any Dutch shop accepts American quarters, but that's another story.

However, if you'd reproduce any coin with the intention to use it as legal tender and you get caught doing so, then you're facing 9 years in prison and/or a fine of up to 82.000 euro. But as this clearly isn't the case here, I suggest that you don't have to worry too much. Just make sure you don't use original dies and that your audience knows that it's not real money.
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05