Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying To Complete A Morgan Set

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
79347 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And one single coin I spent almost a thousand on.
If I am lucky, my most expensive coin will remain below the thousand dollar barrier.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck

I spent more than 1K on a coin. I know you have gotten some great deals on Buffalo nickels. I tend to buy only certified coins which is probably why I have spent over 2K for a coin. I got a 1895-O in AU55 condition and it cost me over 2K for sure. I just wanted it and had the money at the time.
Learn More...
United States
79347 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I accept as a fact that if I were buying certified coins, I would be spending a lot more for them! I am glad that I am just trying to (cheaply) fill Dansco holes. My only certified coins are the Eisenhower dollars that I just recently started buying (to compliment and not replace the Eisenhower Dansco).
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh, completing a Morgan Set...
I have done it 4 times, once in a day.
But it is never finished, is it ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, you never finish because you can always get a higher grade coin to replace the one you have. Some of them I just will not touch like 1884-S in any sort of MS condition. Most of the Morgans are semi-affordable in AU condition, but 3-5 are just crazy when you jump from AU50 to MS60. If you or I were 30 year old real estate or Silicon Valley multi-millionairs then I would buy them all in MS. I would also buy fine art, private jet, an island and what have you. I spent most of my life just trying to have "enough", so it is hard to spend thousands on coins that may or may not appreciate. I am not greedy.
Learn More...
United States
79347 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2017  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ahhh, completing a Morgan Set... I have done it 4 times, once in a day.
Impressive!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2017  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Peace13

How did you complete the Morgan set in one day? Did you just buy a set or did you have a bag full of cash and just buy every single coin in the set? Are you laundering money through your Morgan Sets......just kidding. Might be a good way to do it.
Learn More...
United States
79347 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2017  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assumed it was a complete set already. I was offered a complete Dansco Ike set at the show this weekend. It would have been my second complete Ike set and it would have been in one day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2017  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We all know that there are quite a few Morgans that if you got them in a set in AU-MS condition you would have to sell your house and first born to get them. Myself, I don't want a crummy looking coin just to fill a hole. There are only 3 out 6 Morgans left for me to collect that I even have a shot at getting in the condition I want. There are some other coins I want to complete sets but I have the same problem where I don't want to spend thousands of bucks to obtain just so,so coins that have no hope of appreciation unless I live to 120. I don't want a "good" 1889CC Morgan that looks like crap and still costs me a grand. The same with 1916-D Mercury or 1916 LSQ. I want a good example. This is just my O/C thing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2017  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have it, spend it.

This is a good reason not to use albums ! Those empty holes will put you into the poorhouse.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2017  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have finished the Morgan dollar date set. Because there are fewer coins to get, each one is VF or XF and they all look very much the same. I have several CC's, but not an 1889-CC. Finished the set for about $3K. Made a couple upgrades, maybe a couple more after that. You know you never are really finished.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05