Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tip on Looking For Old Maps!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  4:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I searched in vein looking for old highway/road maps for my area. I couldn't find anything.Then somehow I came across a antique railroad site. That gave not only railways,roads,but also churches,old farm houses,churches and schools. It's pretty hard to find the places that match with today,But if you look at the rivers and compare that to google earth, Then you can get a basic idea.BTW it took me 3 days to get earth to launch! First I had to have chrome,then my proxy ,etc! I hope this helps! I'm going out tomorrow for my first out of my land search so wish me luck!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31249 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good input for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea. Good luck on your hunt.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ever thought of checking old Plat information at the county courthouses in your area? That may at least have building info. I know from wife's family background that on the family farm, right in the front 20 field corner was a blacksmith's shop and across the road was the store. These buildings were there up until 1970's when they came down. Those only show up on land maps of the 40's and earlier. And yea, some amatuer idiot (brother-in-law) went half*** searching with a $80 used POS wand...did find a rusty horseshoe...i went into the barn and grabbed a couple really nice mule shoes without the rust!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kefiroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can overlook the obnoxious watermark plastered all over the maps, this might be a useful tool to view old aerial imagery and maps:

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

I think most areas in the US have aerial imagery on there from the 60s/70s or even earlier sometimes.
Edited by Kefiroth
10/15/2017 5:31 pm
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add millertime631 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found loads of maps at my state college website. Most are printable JPEGs. Some dating back to 1600s. I'd just type "historical maps of [yourstate]" into your preferred internet search engine and sift through it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3577 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have in the past used web maps that have a modern overlay used on top of historical maps, pretty cool.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05