Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 P Nickel Possible Double Rim Strike Through.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  1:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin caught my eye because it is cupped on the reverse. I thought it was an immediate PMD,But then I looked at the obverse and didn't see any damage besides the VLDS.So the obverse showed lines that correspond to a nickel rim. So maybe this is a coin that was stuck to another coin during minting. Not sure any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like another nickel was hammered or pressed onto the reverse - like your pictures show but PMD.
Good eye though spotting that!
Edited by Mark1959
10/18/2017 2:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks,That's what I thought,But the coins I've found like this before show some sign on the other side of being pressed or hammered. Just figured I'd post to make sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4513 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Mark on this,clear metal displacement from force of impact. PMD
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the obverse could have been on a piece of wood or something that would absorb the impact on that side.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand why you would ask. Good eyes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42745 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2017  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to rehash this topic,But is the a fore mentioned possible? If so does anyone have an example I could see? I just found a quarter that has similar mark as the western most red arrow,no cupping and no reverse damage. I'd just like to check it out without making another thread. Thanks in advance!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40839 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2017  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The raised rim affects the coin from contact with another coin and a hammer that smacked it probably between two pieces of wood. Note the marks on the rim of the coin. If it is damaged, then those areas would also be affected. If you see that also on the rim, then it was damaged. Not a mint error.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
76 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2017  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dookie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i totaiy agree with coop in the gang
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2017  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll just post the quarter! I do appreciate the responses,But it's been a very long and hard day. I'm just not getting it!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05