Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Any Dealers Still Issue Paper Lists?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 987Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3633 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  3:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Browsing through a 2014 edition of "Coins" magazine, there is one page of ads where the advertisers are urging people to write for a "free price list".

My question is, are they any dealers who still issue paper lists?

I would not want to be bothered with that. It was such a nuisance back in the 1990s dealing with lists that were invariably obsolete by the time I wrote back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of them still do, quite a few collectors use them. Kind of like going to the bourse, sometimes the vendors sell stuff before you arrive.
Learn More...
United States
90105 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I remember requesting and receiving them in the 1980s and early 1990s. It is not something that I thought would have survived this long into the internet age.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not something I miss. Virtually no photos. I'd much rather see photos rather than a written description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50483 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, but at least a comprehensive list would help you isolate items that you could ask for photos of.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16935 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get lists from at least three dealers on foreign coins. I have a dealer for Conder tokens that sends out a list but he also posts it online. If you want something on it you had better be there when it posts online. Last time he had a piece I needed he posted it at noon, I ordered at 12:05 and I missed it, I was the third request for it. One of the other dealers mails his list and then posts it a couple days later so that the snail mail and email people get the list at about the same time.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2017 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to get price lists mailed in the 70's and early 80's but haven't really seen them since that time.
Edited by nfine
10/26/2017 4:50 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Colin Cooke in the UK send me out a book every month with their price lists. As others have said above - very little photos, just descriptions and prices.
Learn More...
Australia
13423 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know one dealer who lives 100km away from me, semi-retired, very old-school. Doesn't even use a computer. No e-mails, no internet. Still types out his sale list on a manual typewriter and snail-mails it out to his customers. And we're not talking just a couple of pages, it's usually a 30-page book. His wife has a computer, but she only uses it to maintain the mailing list.

My main problem with mailing-list dealers is, I buy coins when I have the spare money. Those times do not necessarily coincide with the times the catalogue arrives in the mail.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I receive a monthly list from a dealer I met at a show. I'm not a stamp guy, but he uses some nifty old(er?) stamps.. I prob bought $100 or so from him at show almost 2 years ago and the list still arrives monthly
Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2017  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received this month's list from Colin Cooke, always nice for a nose through.

Learn More...
United States
90105 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Received this month's list from Colin Cooke, always nice for a nose through.
That would be fun to look through.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 987Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05