Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 D Dime Tapered Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  8:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lperry3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was rummagin through my coins today and picked this dime up and thought- why the heck did I save this? Then finally realized it was an oddity.

The edge behind Franklin's head has regular thickness. The edge in front of his face however is as thick as a quarter. There is a thin sheet of metal that sticks up above the obverse side of the coin on the thick side. I think I remember how I first noticed this coin, it scratched me! The thin sheet has grooves on the coin facing side of it, blood along the top.;-) Think it may be worth something some day, say 100 years from now? Or should I just keep in my treasure chest? Here's some pics.

Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The high edge of the coin is called a fin. When pressure is applied to the planchet by the 2 dies the metal is moved into the die recesses forming the design. The reeding is formed by the third die which is called the collar. When the design is fully formed but the pressure still continues to increase the metal needs to go somewhere so it squeezes up along one of the dies creating a thin lip called a fin. Your coin could also be a tapered planchet but you will have to look at it and see if it is tapered without taking the fin into account. Let us know.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lperry3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi pyrbob, I'm new at this so bear with me. I was going to originally post this picture but it was blurry. I took several shots to no avail. You might be able to make out what I presume to be a taper. Thanks for the information on the fin. Perhaps this will help those that are interested.

Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but the picture is just too blurry for me to tell. What I would look for is go to the edge right before the fin starts and compare that to the thickness on the side opposite the fin. If it is a tapered planchet then you should see a visible difference between the thickness of these two areas. Not to burst your bubble but my guess is you have a coin with a fin and not a tapered planchet. But a fin like this is still a keeper and a nice find to me.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lperry3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are absolutely correct, it is a fin. I assume tapered planchets are typically on the thin side? After your post I studied the coin through a magnifying glass and there is actually a fin on the reverse side too. At first the top fin didn't look to be enough to cause the distortion. I love this forum! Thanks for the learning experience. I have a long long ways to go yet. Please bear with me.
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's our pleasure. We all love this forum. Asking questions is how all of us have learned in the past. But now we can get and give much faster replies. We don't have to wait to talk to someone anymore. Keep asking those questions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2008  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Not that it matters if I say this but that was one of the best exchanges of information I've seen! Great Thread!

Have Fun,
Bill
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05