Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Great Canadian Nickel Hunt  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  3:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I haven't coin roll hunted for over a decade and just got my first 10 rolls of nickels last night. I have been exclusively collecting 1c pieces up until now but with Canada taking away this beautiful little coin away from me, I am turning my attention to nickels and maybe dimes.

So I open my first roll of nickels and what do I find? See below :D Jackpot haha! 1946 double 6 :D I am terrible with grading George VI coins. Anyone care to venture on the grade of this?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2169 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't try and grade it, but it's a nice looking coin for it's age.
Good luck with your roll hunting. :)

Steve :)
View my Coins, Banknotes & Tokens (NOW WITH OVER 11,850 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silverbullet68 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use to coin roll hunt in Pittsburgh and found so many Canadian nickels that I had to try and make a set. I have moved since closer to D.C. and don't find nearly as many Canadian coins in my change. 'Sigh'
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am on my third batch of nickels now (28 rolls) and I found a really nice 1966 nickel. The color on it is almost the same as a 2000's nickel which was quite surprising to see. Usually the older ones are a very dull grey.

I also found a number of very good condition 2017-2005 nickels that I will be adding to start my collection date wise. There we also some with the original Queen Elizabeth bust that I kept that are in fairly good condition. That is one of my favorite busts on coins :)

I found a jar of loose change which I will be bringing to the bank with more nickels and dimes (that I searched through of course!) so hopefully will be able to get more than 10 at a time now.

I hope all your huntings are going well too!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1271 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins! I recently found a 1940 which is XF/AU... several months ago I found a MS-63 1970 nickel - a coin which had forever eluded me!

More recently, I found 30 Canadian nickels in a regular US nickel roll, all in XF/AU/BU dated 1960-1962. I'll post some pictures soon.
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add santafeboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice finds arvan and to think these were everyday circulating coins when I was a kid in Ontario
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice coins! I recently found a 1940 which is XF/AU... several months ago I found a MS-63 1970 nickel - a coin which had forever eluded me!

More recently, I found 30 Canadian nickels in a regular US nickel roll, all in XF/AU/BU dated 1960-1962. I'll post some pictures soon.

Thats great! Do you predominately collect American nickels or do you also save some of our lovely Canadian ones as well? I come across quite a few American ones and am thinking that maybe I should collect them too. There are so many different types for American coins though with all your mints and whatnot. I find it difficult to identify and figure out a price for those coins haha.

Quote:
Nice finds arvan and to think these were everyday circulating coins when I was a kid in Ontario

Thats what I find fascinating about collecting coins. Once upon a time this coin or that coin was used to actually make a purchase. What was that purchase? A piece of gum? A new stereo? Groceries? You can really let your imagination go crazy thinking about the possibilities :)
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, arvan!
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
***Rolls Searched: 76***

Well I finished up a few more rolls the last couple weeks and found some really good coins that I am pleased with. One of the rolls was filled with "older" (nickels between 1996 and 1939) with nothing new in it which was nice. Since I am just starting I was able to crab a lot of 1970 and 1960 nickels to fill out my collection that were decent quality. I also came across some nice finds as seen below:

From top left to right:

1998 - Really nice tone to it. I have terrible lighting for my pics which I need to figure out. I wish I could display it better.
1985 - Also has an interesting patina.
2010 - I have no idea what happened to this coin. Acid drip?
20? - it had a Ferraro Roche sticker on it. Need I say more?
1944 Victory Nickel - Victory Nickels are my favorite coin ever. I keep them all.
1965 - This is in fabulous condition. I have a pic of it further down.
1964 x 5
1939 - This is in surprisingly good condition!

Thought I would add a few close ups for your viewing pleasure:

Love to see any of your Canadian 5c finds too!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1271 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2017  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More nice coins, arvan!

Those V Canadian Nickels are cool coins. I've got a few. And to answer your question:

Quote:

Thats great! Do you predominately collect American nickels or do you also save some of our lovely Canadian ones as well? I come across quite a few American ones and am thinking that maybe I should collect them too. There are so many different types for American coins though with all your mints and whatnot. I find it difficult to identify and figure out a price for those coins haha.

I had forgotten about this thread... I keep very busy with different things. I predominately collect American Nickels - just completed a complete set of Jefferson nickels from 1938-date out of circulation - finally found that pesky 1950-D a few weeks ago. http://goccf.com/t/300291&whichpage=1 I do the other denominations as well.

And yes, I collect Canadian coins too... I still remember my first nice find - a 1942 in AU among a roll hoard of old Jefferson nickels where I worked as a teenager - there were also 14 War Nickels in that roll! And yes, I have a pretty good set of Canadian Nickels - I have a complete set from 1922 to 2010-ish, missing only the 1925 and two 1926 coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
661 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2017  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that 1944 and that 1939.

Do any of you Canadian nickel collectors have any extra 1967 Centennial nickels with the rabbit on the back that you would be willing to part with? My son and I have not been able to find any of those.
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2017  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice finds, arvan!
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is great John77! Congrats on completing your Jefferson set :) Nice job on the Canadian Nickel set too. Are you collecting the varieties as well or just the years? Also did you find them roll hunting/loose change or did you purchase some?

JonNickelCollector, Thanks! Unfortunately I have not come across the '67 Centennial coin yet :( If I happen too, I will be sure to let you know :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1271 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, arvan!

I actually found the 1934-1938 Buffalos in circulation too, so my CRH nickel set is complete from 1934-date!

My Canadian nickel set was mostly bought from the local coin shop. I got a really good deal on it and a nice set of old, large copper Canadian cents.
Valued Member
Canada
356 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ JonNickleCollector

You wrote:

Quote:
Do any of you Canadian nickel collectors have any extra 1967 Centennial nickels with the rabbit on the back that you would be willing to part with? My son and I have not been able to find any of those.

I'm pretty sure I have a couple spares;
Just so you know, like the one's shared in this thread, they're also pulled from circulation.
Shoot me a PM/Email and I'll hook you up :D
My "want" list is HERE
Edited by unruhjonny
12/07/2017 6:08 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05