Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Son Of A Tough Note That Nobody Collects

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,081Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49487 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  4:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few days ago I showed a $100 Minneapolis FRBN with a tiny print run that gets little collector attention. Here is its even scarcer but equally cold-shouldered $50 Minneapolis relative, which sports the lowest run of any issuing district at 132K but carries only a nominal catalogue value.

Edited by Coinfrog
11/25/2017 4:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6836 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I admit to be very poorly informed on notes Coinfrog ... as such I am missing the nuance of the collecting value.

Do note (pun intended) that it appears by photograph to be in outstanding condition ... although I do not recognize the TPG who certified it.

Me as a novice would appreciate some education as to why this was special enough for you to acquire it.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayDon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The German's would have to agree
Pillar of the Community
United States
2763 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of portraits that I really like, but President U.S. Grant is my all time favorite. He has the look of both a Statesman and a Leader....and it's easy to picture him with a cigar in one hand and a drink in the other.

Super nice eye appeal and margins on your example Mr.Frog....well done sir.
Pillar of the Community
684 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it listed as a Federal Reserve Bank Note when it is clearly a National Currency note.
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the early small size Federal Reserve Notes, the Bureau of Engraving & Printing used the same format as National Currency. It was just a quick solution, since the printing plates were already prepared. But any brown seal note from a Federal Reserve Bank is considered a FRN.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49487 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2017  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, they were something of an emergency issue that were printed from existing National Currency (NBN) plates.

nickelsearcher - There several appealing aspects to collecting these FRBNs.
First, they played a key role in the complicated transition from large to small size notes in this country. Second, they are a one-year type note, which makes collecting all denominations for all of the 12 districts that issued them an achievable feat. Third, most print runs were tiny by the standards of most green and blue seal notes of only a decade later, much less by today's numbing figures, which makes them an excellent long term value to me. And finally, along with their long-gone NBN, gold and silver certificate, and US Note cousins, they were a part of the color rainbow of paper money seals that I remember so well from childhood.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/26/2017 4:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2017  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an absolutely stunning note. To have 67 Paper Quality after 88 years blows my mind.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,081Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05