Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 189
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8622 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice package arrived today from thisistheshow!

A fellow CCF member who has cheered me on in my medal posts has sent me TWO of these GOOD LUCK medals. I have found they are also found with a date of 1934 on the obverse.

1933 Century Of Progress Good Luck Brass Medal

Thank you thisistheshow! The duplicate is going with me to give to a young numismatist of 7 or 8 years old as I have been given permission to do this from our generous CCF friend.
His "show and tell" presentations at our monthly meetings are always a kick.
The kid is surely a future star in the numismatic world.
For the kid from thisistheshow, not me.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
02/13/2020 9:57 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13769 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vintage 40s Mission San Juan Capistrano Silver Souvenir Religious Medal Necklace Pendant .

Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you thisistheshow!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Vintage 40s Mission San Juan Capistrano Silver Souvenir Religious Medal Necklace Pendant .

Nice one Dorado!
I love religious medals/pendants/tokens
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG the "good luck" side seems to be different dies.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TNG the "good luck" side seems to be different dies.
Now that you say that, and I look, I feel as though I see it. But help me by telling me what you see so I can see if I am right. Maybe it will help others too.

I will have to look at the third one to compare later as well.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems most apparent comparing the years 1933. But, then, it might be the late hour on tired eyes!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13769 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (United States - Automatic Tokens)

Control Token - CTX 325

Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
t seems most apparent comparing the years 1933. But, then, it might be the late hour on tired eyes!

Ok, that is not where I was looking, but I do see that, for instance the curve of the nine.

Just curious, did this jump out at you, or were you looking for it? Your observation shows me that I may need to start being more observant.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8622 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might just be the angle. I don't see it. (yet) The lighting angle is different too.
Sometimes I take an image of a coin and resize it to be 500x500 then crop a circle. It could distort the size of lettering a little.

Late Edit: I just looked at both in hand under a good loupe and they both appear the same to me.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/14/2020 10:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THISISTHESHOW - it's just something I do

There is a medal design for GREEN RIVER WHISKEY (an interesting eBay search/comparison for those inclined) which apparently has a dozen or more dies or die pairs from what I've found online. Sofar I think I have at least 6.

TNG - you are probably correct, diff angle and diff lighting

edit:
Edited by 999fine
02/14/2020 10:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone ever hear of the LONG BEACH 1967-1968 WORLD'S FAIR?

Probably not, apparently planned but never broke ground.

Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
999fine it seems like that could be a great subset of your collection. Medals and tokens from events that never took place. Do you have others?
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two bronze medals.

ANA conference participation medal 1979

Robert E Preston Mint Director 1893-1899

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8622 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions but here's one that I post only for educational purposes.
Not the crown jewel of my collection.

1900's George Washington "American Fabious" Medal

This token was made by the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut during the early 20th century. Scovill was established in 1802 as a button manufacturer and is still in business today. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods including buttons, daguerreotype mats, and political tokens.

Crude attempts to hole this medal long ago, were unsuccessful.
It is damaged and value is minimal. Very similar medals can be found in a larger diameter (29 mm) in bronze and aluminum but the spelling of Fabious can also be found as Fabius on the larger.
"American Fabious" probably compares General Washington and the strategy he used fighting the British, to Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus, a Roman statesman and general of the third century BC in war against Hannibal.
I think that the larger medals were made later with a slightly modified bust of Washington and has reverse wording on different lines.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8622 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1971 Paul Revere
Great Patriots of the United States
Sterling Silver Medal

A silver bullion lesson from a silversmith himself, Paul Revere

Although Paul Revere warned his countrymen that the British were on the march, let him warn you that a medal that contains an ounce of pure silver is sometimes misleading.

This is a sterling silver medal and weighs about 30.6 grams.
Since sterling is .925 pure, then .925 x 30.6 = 28.305#8236; grams
Yes, that is quite close to an avoirdupois ounce isn't it?
However, a troy ounce is heavier and generally most silver bullion rounds are 1 troy ounce .999 silver.

A close (rounded off) comparison
1 avoirdupois oz = 28.35 grams
1 troy oz = 31.1 grams

I paid $13.75 in total including tax & shipping for this medal on a day that silver was $17.74 per troy ounce.

Since there is always a "refining fee" for silver that is less than .999, that takes about 10% off the top if I were to cash it in at a bullion dealer.
So today this medal has about $15.97 worth of pure silver in it.
That would be about .51 cents a gram and since this has 28.3105 grams I would get around $14.44 cents selling this Paul Revere medal from a bullion dealer.

If I were to go to that same bullion dealer, the 10% goes the other way, a "buyers premium" and I could expect to pay about $17.55 for this medal.

I am ahead on this medal I got today for two reasons.
1. I beat todays spot price.
2. I collect Paul Revere medals and this is one I rarely seen before.

There are markings on the edge, In the first square I see CO which I believe is for minted in Cincinnati, Ohio as that is where the 60 Great Patriots of the United States sterling silver medals were minted. After that, in the second square is the logo for the Danbury mint. Then I see 71 in the third square so I know that is the year it was minted. The fourth square has what looks like a letter P, which I am informed is for "Proof" finish.

I am pretty sure this is from the Danbury Mint, Westport, Connecticut.
Danbury Mint historically marketed high quality medals and ingots produced by others exclusively for them.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/16/2020 5:50 pm
Page: of 189  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05